"CARVED BY THE COLORADO" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon by madamx
Grand Canyon Travel Guide: 933 reviews and 3,112 photos
I can't describe the Grand Canyon without using phrases that have been used uncountable times over. Simply to me the Grand Canyon was overwhelming and unforgettable.
On doing my research for our trip, I looked at countless photographs of the Grand Canyon. Having been there now, I can say that not one photograph can do the canyon justice. As you gaze out onto the canyon, it's width and breadth stretches forever, and you lose yourself in it's intricacies of color and rock formations.
To give you an idea of it's hugeness, the canyon is 277 miles long, up 18 miles wide, and a mile deep. As you stand at some viewpoints and look down, it hits you that it's a mighty long way down to the bottom.
Geologists believe that it has taken the Colorado River 3 to 6 million years to create the Grand Canyon. 21 colored sedimentary layers are visible, and scientists believe that the oldest layer is about a billion years old. During the day, the light from dawn to dusk on the canyon layers and rocks causes an interplay of shadow, hues and texture. The canyon never looks the same at any one time of the day.
Described as one of the great natural wonders of the world, the Grand Canyon to me was truly awe-inspiring, and should be on everyone's travel list, 'nuff said.
- In a nutshell:Overwhelming and Unforgettable
Even if you aren't in the mood for buying, you must stop at the historic Cameron Trading Post at least for a break on... more travel advice
I was a little surprised on how you can get very close to the edge of the canyon, Duh! which only makes sense, how can... more travel advice
madamx's Related Pages
Grand Canyon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HIKING THE GRAND CANYON - WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!"
- "The Awesome Beauty of the Grand Canyon"
- "Canyon Dreams"
- "Grand Canyon - West Rim"
- "CARVED BY THE COLORADO"
- "Grand Canyon from the air"
- "The path less trodden"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Canyon
- Hotels in Grand Canyon
- Transportation in Grand Canyon
- Nightlife in Grand Canyon
- Restaurants in Grand Canyon
- Shopping in Grand Canyon
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Canyon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Canyon
- 20 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Grand Canyon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Canyon
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What is the most derogatory..."
- Commented on one of kymbanm's Grand Canyon travel pages
- Wrote a Review Don't Be Afraid of the Dark in Grand Canyon Warnings and Dangers
- updated a Grand Canyon Travel Page "CARVED BY THE COLORADO"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cameron Trading Post"
Photos in Grand CanyonSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kananaskis Lakes Intro, 52 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 35 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of British Columbia Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos