"CARVED BY THE COLORADO" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon by madamx

Grand Canyon Travel Guide: 933 reviews and 3,112 photos

Unforgettable

I can't describe the Grand Canyon without using phrases that have been used uncountable times over. Simply to me the Grand Canyon was overwhelming and unforgettable.

On doing my research for our trip, I looked at countless photographs of the Grand Canyon. Having been there now, I can say that not one photograph can do the canyon justice. As you gaze out onto the canyon, it's width and breadth stretches forever, and you lose yourself in it's intricacies of color and rock formations.

To give you an idea of it's hugeness, the canyon is 277 miles long, up 18 miles wide, and a mile deep. As you stand at some viewpoints and look down, it hits you that it's a mighty long way down to the bottom.

Geologists believe that it has taken the Colorado River 3 to 6 million years to create the Grand Canyon. 21 colored sedimentary layers are visible, and scientists believe that the oldest layer is about a billion years old. During the day, the light from dawn to dusk on the canyon layers and rocks causes an interplay of shadow, hues and texture. The canyon never looks the same at any one time of the day.

Described as one of the great natural wonders of the world, the Grand Canyon to me was truly awe-inspiring, and should be on everyone's travel list, 'nuff said.

• In a nutshell:Overwhelming and Unforgettable
  • Last visit to Grand Canyon: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 24, 2005

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Great page, Helen, and some really awesome photos! I hope we have some photo ops like this when we're there!

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2007 at 3:08 PM

What a beautiful page, with photographs that make you want to jump on a plane NOW! One of my dream places to visit.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2007 at 5:22 AM

An excellent look at The Canyon - awesome photos - vivid descriptions - very helpful information.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 8:40 AM

OMG ... I just got back from here ..... amazing ... simply amazing :)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 12:10 AM

Wow Helen! I just love all the different colours!! That navajo jewelrey looks nice too :o) Oh and the free bus service!...now that's a bonus :o) Great pages mate!! Cheers, Ann :o)

• rezeik's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2006 at 11:20 AM

awesome pics of the Grand Canyon......

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2006 at 10:10 AM

your good at writing tips

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2006 at 8:46 PM

Thanks for the memories. I worked at Yavapai in 1982. Just had some friends from that time that I worked with visit me in MT from MN.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2006 at 11:03 AM

Our two visits to the GC have been off season (late Oct and New Year)- gorgeous, and so few people around - but we were lucky with wonderful clear weather. It is truly awe-inspiring. Great photos here. leyle

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2006 at 12:37 AM

Hi Helen. I really enjoyed your tips! My fiance has been to the GC when he was a kid, and wants to take me there one day :-) Lovely photos. / Greetings from Dubai :-) Jess

madamx

“*meeeep*”

Badges & Stats in Grand Canyon

Have you been to Grand Canyon?

Latest Activity in Grand Canyon