"LA MAGIA DE MEXICO" Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico by madamx
Mexico Travel Guide: 20,734 reviews and 48,676 photos
We both knew that we wanted to go to Mexico almost a year ago, but were at a loss on how to plan our trip. The only people we knew who had been there had done the rounds of all-inclusives and recommended those to us.
From what we could see, we knew that we were not all-inclusive people. My husband really pushed for one for ease of planning, but I knew deep down we would not be happy. Thus, our real journey started when I began to delve deeper into research, as Mexico was such a mystery to me.
The name was intriguing to me. What was Zihuatanejo other than a place we heard uttered by a character on the movie The Shawshank Redemption? It took us a while to even pronounce Zihuatanejo correctly. Researching further, Zihuatanejo appealed to us more and more. A smallish town, still dependent on fishing, with real Mexican flavor, but still having enough gringos around that we would feel comfortable, as it was our first time to Mexico. Plus, there were no all-inclusives in Zihuatanejo.
We were aware of the hot, humid weather, but not prepared for how long it would take us to acclimatize. The heat sapped any type of energy out of us, yet in retrospect, helped us to realize how much we needed to slow down and relax. After a few days we were revelling in the beautiful, sunny weather.
Christmas Day was spent lazing on a coral beach with sparkling clear water almost as warm as a bath and we dined on grilled fish instead of turkey with the trimmings. Something we could not have imagined a year ago.
After a week in Zihuatanejo, we planned to drive to Patzcuaro, a beautiful colonial town in the Michoacan highlands, located by one of the highest lakes in Mexico. Also very few gringos. Would we be ready for this? I got anxious thinking we might be over our heads, but we kept to our plans, despite our doubts -- kidnapping by our taxi driver, running into bandidos on the highway, any sort of scenerio that would end in our injury or ultimate demise.
Patzcuaro turned out to be the most amazing trip of our lives. Not only did we find we were immersed in history and culture that many people who go to Mexico miss out on, but we came to an epiphany about our whole Mexican experience.
We came to the realization that:
The landscapes are gorgeous. We travelled from hot, sultry jungle and beaches lined lushly with coconut palms; to arid hills dotted with gigantic candelabra cactus; to highland lake country with pine-covered mountainous terrain complete with cowboys. The people are wonderful. Mexicans are the most gracious, warmest, friendliest, hospitable people we have ever met.
- In a nutshell:Travel to Mexico and discover your own epiphany
We got lucky and managed to see a performance of the Viejecitos (Little Old Men). This is a dance said to have been... more travel advice
The gentleman that owns this shop has stuffed it full of quality hand-crafted items, mostly from Oaxaca. The shelves... more travel advice
- Pack for a Variety of Climates
- See All Restaurante Cha Cha Cha
- See All Paricutin
madamx's Related Pages
Mexico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mexican medley"
- "TIPS FOR TRAVELERS TO MEXICO"
- "LA MAGIA DE MEXICO"
- "Mexico for cultural explorers"
- "A week in Banderas Bay"
- "La Venta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mexico
- Hotels in Mexico
- Transportation in Mexico
- Nightlife in Mexico
- Restaurants in Mexico
- Shopping in Mexico
- Warnings and Dangers in Mexico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mexico
- 35 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 150 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Mexico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mexico
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kananaskis Lakes Intro, 52 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 35 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of British Columbia Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (48)
Top Mexico hotels
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 774 Reviews - 1734 Photos
- Cabo San Lucas Hotels
- 714 Reviews - 1256 Photos
- Puerto Vallarta Hotels
- 1126 Reviews - 1909 Photos
- San José del Cabo Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 118 Photos
- Mexico City Hotels
- 2111 Reviews - 4387 Photos
- Akumal Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 146 Photos
- Tijuana Hotels
- 640 Reviews - 1027 Photos
- Puerto Morelos Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Acapulco Hotels
- 361 Reviews - 692 Photos
- Tulum Hotels
- 450 Reviews - 1320 Photos
- Puerto Peñasco Hotels
- 75 Reviews - 303 Photos
- Manzanillo Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Mazatlán Hotels
- 468 Reviews - 777 Photos
- Ensenada Hotels
- 290 Reviews - 632 Photos