Arizona Off The Beaten Path Tips by madamx Top 5 Page for this destination
Arizona Off The Beaten Path: 102 reviews and 134 photos
V Bar V used to be a working ranch located on the edge of Beaver Creek. To reach V Bar V, you must travel on fairly good dirt roads (do not attempt this trip if it is raining) There is a small information centre where you must register, and the petroglyphs are located on a cliff face about a 5 minute walk from the information centre.
V Bar V is the largest petroglyph site in the Verde Valley, and they have identified about 1,032 individual petroglyphs here. You can even see where the rancher in the late 1800's tried to add his name to the petroglyphs by chiselling his initials on the rock face.
V Bar V is only open Friday through Monday, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, and they can close the site at any time for various reasons, such as research or archeological digs. So, if you plan to head out, you takes yer chances. However, if you are even remotely interested in petroglyphs, it is well worth your while.
Directions: it's hard to explain how to get there, as the site is on unmarked dirt roads, so your best bet is to ask the park service personnel at Montezuma Well, as the site is not far from there. They will give you a clear map and directions, and perhaps can phone for you to see if the site is open for visitors.
6,000 year old antelope
This site gives you great bang for your buck: a chance to see rock art that is 6,000 years old, and a chance to climb into an ancient Singaua dwelling.
Palatki is situated in a beautiful red rock canyon and the cliff dwelling you can go into was occupied from 100 to 1300. There are a couple of short, rocky, fairly steep trails to see the sites. If you think you will have trouble walking these, you can view the dwellings from a viewpoint on a loop trail, but not the rock art. There are very informative interpreters stationed at the art and the dwellings. You even get a chance to see 900 year old fingerprints, where someone was applying mud to the dwelling. Do make time to see this site if you can.
You reach Palatki by driving on dirt and gravel roads, and don't attempt this trip if it is raining as conditions on the roads can deteriorate rapidly. You must phone ahead and reserve yourself a spot as there are only 20 parking spaces available at one time.
The site is open from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm, 7 days a week.
Directions: Head south on Highway 89A, and make a right-hand turn onto FR 525, about 8 miles from Cottonwood. Then, follow the signs. Watch carefully for the turn-off, as the sign is quite small. If you do miss it, there is a left hand turn bay heading north on Highway 89, and plenty of turn arounds located on the Highway, if you do drive past the turn-off.
More Reviews (40)
- See All Slow Food at It's Best
- See All Our Friend, the Saguaro
- These Boots Were Made for Hiking
- See All Jerome
madamx's Related Pages
Arizona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful, Historic Arizona"
- "WALK IN BEAUTY"
- "Jumping Around Our Very Own State - ARIZONA!"
- "Arizona, breathtaking scenery"
- "Jumping Thelma and Louise in Arizona!!!"
- "Raising Arizona to New Heights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arizona
- Hotels in Arizona
- Transportation in Arizona
- Nightlife in Arizona
- Restaurants in Arizona
- Shopping in Arizona
- Warnings and Dangers in Arizona
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kampong Serian Hilir Hotels
- Elk Grove Village Hotels
- Grande Riviere Hotels
- San Felipe
- Egg Harbor
- Nicola Lake Hotels
- Walking & hiking
- South Point
- Saudi Arabia Off The Beaten Path
- Rotorua Off The Beaten Path
- Fort Wayne Off The Beaten Path
- Wagga Wagga Off The Beaten Path
- Ingolstadt Off The Beaten Path
- Paphos Off The Beaten Path
- Doolin Off The Beaten Path
- Alghero Off The Beaten Path
- Bonita Springs Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Arizona
- 101 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- 57 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Arizona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arizona
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kananaskis Lakes Intro, 52 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 35 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of British Columbia Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (48)
Top Arizona hotels
- Sedona Hotels
- 870 Reviews - 2015 Photos
- Phoenix Hotels
- 717 Reviews - 1456 Photos
- Scottsdale Hotels
- 253 Reviews - 595 Photos
- Kayenta Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 40 Photos
- Grand Canyon Hotels
- 926 Reviews - 3053 Photos
- Tucson Hotels
- 950 Reviews - 2205 Photos
- Lake Havasu City Hotels
- 95 Reviews - 208 Photos
- Page Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 674 Photos
- Payson Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 144 Photos
- Flagstaff Hotels
- 390 Reviews - 758 Photos
- Oro Valley Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Williams Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 141 Photos
- Winslow Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 122 Photos
- Tempe Hotels
- 96 Reviews - 216 Photos
- Yuma Hotels
- 194 Reviews - 428 Photos