"Auschwitz" Top 5 Page for this destination Oswiecim by Jmill42

Oswiecim Travel Guide: 365 reviews and 988 photos

My journey to the camps of Auschwitz/Birkenau

I am a huge history buff, especially with the WWII era. So, obviously, one of the most important places I wanted to visit was Auschwitz and Birkenau. Though I have seen Hollywood reproductions, read endless stories and viewed hundreds of photos, nothing prepared me for how I felt actually being there. To liken it to anything I, or anyone else, has faced would be to greatly belittle the terror that these people faced everyday. We can only try and learn from history's horrible relics.

• Pros:Maybe one of the most important historical places on Earth
  • Cons:Those who go here and don't show respect
  • Last visit to Oswiecim: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2004

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 5:41 AM

Thank you for sharing this page, I amvisiting Aushwitz on friday & have been mentaly preparing myself by reading lots of books about the holacaust but did not know the Sophie book.

• alycat's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Aushwitcz has a gruesome history, you have been very sensitive and thougtful in your pages.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2005 at 12:12 PM

Jason, these pages are sobering reminders of a page in history so horrid...vivid photos, powerful text that questions man's inhumanity to man. You make it clear how it made an impact on you personally...thanks.

• gregoryr1m's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 6:17 PM

Very eerie pictures of Auschwitz. Kind of creepy. Not the pictures themselves, they're great... it have been creepy being there. Thanks for including them, they're important pictures to view. Greg

• Nov 29, 2004 at 2:08 PM

Well done. Someone else who knows how to translate Arbeit Machts frei properly! Looks like you have a god page here I will continue reading!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2004 at 6:08 PM

This + the Killing Fields are probably some of mankind's darkest hours...

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2004 at 3:27 AM

This is good work. The world and future generations should know....

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2004 at 1:33 PM

Great rendition and page on a horrible and deadly place. I'm a history fan myself and as I toured Auschwitz and Birkenau I felt the same way as you. I do hope we learn from the mistakes of the past.

• edvin_br's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2004 at 5:49 AM

Very exciting page about one of the wars must importent places. I belive that more and more people should know this place.

• coceng's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2004 at 8:19 PM

There's also a movie called Sophie's Choice ! Starring Meryl Streep & she won an oscar for the part ! :) Did you go to the Birkenau camp ? Regards.

Jmill42

“Live With Passion!”

Badges & Stats in Oswiecim

Have you been to Oswiecim?

Latest Activity in Oswiecim