Vienna Local Custom Tips by Jmill42
Vienna Local Customs: 240 reviews and 283 photos
Pronounced "Glue wine", or something close to that, this drink was my favorite beverage of Europe. Its basically hot, spiced wine, with a little brandy thrown in to boot. Served from big wooden barrels or large metal vats, around town during the cold weather, it defined my time in Vienna, along with the Christmas Market. It is extremely tasty, and warms you up quickly.
Here is a recipe I found from the net:
4 qts. dry red wine (such as zinfandel, pinot, burgundy, etc.)
1 qt. dry white wine
1 pt. Marc (or heavy brandy)
1 c. white sugar (more to taste)
6 sticks cinnamon
12 whole cloves
1/8 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. mace
Pour 6 ounces red wine from the first bottle into an appropriate glass for later quality control checks. This may need to be repeated from another bottle, at the cook's discretion. Pour the remaining wine from the first bottle into a 3 gallon pot (or larger) and begin gentle heating. As it begins to warm, add sugar and spices. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add Marc (or brandy) and all remaining wine. (Note: if there are too many quality control checks, it is frequently necessary to purchase more wine.) Heat thoroughly but do not allow to boil! Add thinly sliced lemon and 1 orange and allow mix to steep for about 1 hour over low heat. Add more sugar during this time if desired, but do it slowly and ensure it dissolves. Frequent samples are usually required during this time, again for the sake of quality control. Serve hot and garnish with orange slices. A stick cinnamon could also be used. Serve about 12-15 folks, or two quality control inspectors.
Heuriger is basically the Viennese way of eating and drinking. The traditional Heurigen are located close to the Wienerwald (the wine-producing region). This is located in Vienna's suburbs.
There are numerous places inside the city, though they apparently are not the real deal. So I asked for the best / well-known. I was sent to Grinzing, a town right outside of Vienna.
Check out my restaurant tip for Grinzing info.
Inside Cafe Central
Vienna more than any other city outside of Italy and Paris has a booming cafe culture. In the past, the cafes would host some of the more notable literary figures of the day, and still have an air of prestige about them, that the tiny cafes of Paris and Rome do not.
More Reviews (45)
- See All Spanish Riding School
- See All Vienna's Monuments
- See All Wien-Schwechat Flughafen (VIE)
- Great Jeans
Jmill42's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Still a city of dreams"
- "VIENNESE WHIRL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Explore the World
- Wheeling Island Hotels
- Toulouse Hotels
- Province of Quezon
- Kempton Park Hotels
- Breckenridge Hotels
- Ramnagar Hotels
- Trinidad Hotels
- Scarborough Hotels
- Warrnambool Hotels
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 48 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
- updated a Vienna Travel Page "Culture and Class"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Homepage Formating"
- Commented on one of shellybelly567's Vienna travel pages
- Wrote a Review Spanish Riding School about Spanische Hofreitschule - Lipizzaner in Vienna Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spanish Riding School"
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 83 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angkor Wat Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 37 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 38 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ibiza Intro, 36 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 40 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 39 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Ili Intro, 28 reviews, 54 photos
Latest Vienna hotel reviews
- Pension Christina
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Marriott Vienna
- 464 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Grand Hotel Wien
- 249 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- The Imperial Riding School Renaissance Vienna Hotel
- 439 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Austria Classic Hotel Nordbahn
- 198 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Imperial
- 278 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Pension Domizil
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Le Meridien Wien
- 912 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Austria Trend Ananas Hotel
- 181 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Pension Pertschy
- 179 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Pension Suzanne
- 376 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Alexander Hotel Vienna
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 11, 2013
- Intercity Hotel
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Academia
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 9, 2013
- Rainers Hotel Vienna
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Schonbrunn- 289 Reviews, 533 Photos
- Stephansdom- 231 Reviews, 455 Photos
- Ringstrasse- 172 Reviews, 277 Photos
- Hofburg- 225 Reviews, 469 Photos
- Belvedere- 167 Reviews, 292 Photos
- Hundertwasser- 109 Reviews, 207 Photos
- Oper - Staatsoper- 96 Reviews, 158 Photos
- Kunsthistorisches Museum - KHM- 53 Reviews, 124 Photos
- Karlskirche - St Charles Church- 91 Reviews, 155 Photos
- Jewish Vienna- 29 Reviews, 63 Photos
See All Vienna Things to Do