"Angkor" Top 5 Page for this destination Angkor Wat by Jmill42
Angkor Wat Travel Guide: 1,635 reviews and 4,720 photos
Having had the exquisite luck to be able to compare two visits here, I still hold that Angkor is the most impressive thing I have seen. It certainly is a different "type" of impressive from, say, the Colosseum, Petra, Pyramids, etc. Perhaps it is that it lies in Asia, in the middle of a jungle, and so vastly different and geographically separate from the others. Maybe it is the people surrounding its gates, so friendly, so welcoming. Whatever it is, the feelings I get here walking around make everything else pale in comparison.
The temples of Angkor were built from 879 - 1191AD and are, to me, one of the most amazing architectural feats. The Khmer empire, based here, ruled the region from China to Vietnam and west to the Bay of Bengal. The over 100 temples seen at Angkor today are the surviving religious remains of a massive social and administrative metropolis. The temples are spread out over a very large area and need multiple days of viewing.
- Pros:One of the 7 Wonders of the World, amazing cultural experiences
- Cons:Beginning to become touristy
- In a nutshell:Go NOW!!
I love when things just work out. Like when you search a place to stay on the internet, bite the bullet based on... more travel advice
Normally, I wouldn't put seeing monkeys as a danger, but these things stole my friends hat. And then ran away!! They are... more travel advice
Jmill42's Related Pages
Angkor Wat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Angkor Wat"
- "Angkor Wat Rediscovered"
- "Angkor What?"
- "Facing to the west and stairway to heaven"
- "Angkor Wat: Our Own Personal Tuk Tuk"
- "Angkor Wat"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angkor Wat
- Hotels in Angkor Wat
- Transportation in Angkor Wat
- Nightlife in Angkor Wat
- Restaurants in Angkor Wat
- Shopping in Angkor Wat
- Warnings and Dangers in Angkor Wat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angkor Wat
- 35 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Angkor Wat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angkor Wat
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 83 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 68 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 48 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angkor Wat Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 37 reviews, 59 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 38 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ibiza Intro, 36 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 40 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 39 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Ili Intro, 28 reviews, 54 photos