"Angkor" Top 5 Page for this destination Angkor Wat by Jmill42

Angkor Wat Travel Guide: 1,645 reviews and 4,781 photos

Angkor Wat

Having had the exquisite luck to be able to compare two visits here, I still hold that Angkor is the most impressive thing I have seen. It certainly is a different "type" of impressive from, say, the Colosseum, Petra, Pyramids, etc. Perhaps it is that it lies in Asia, in the middle of a jungle, and so vastly different and geographically separate from the others. Maybe it is the people surrounding its gates, so friendly, so welcoming. Whatever it is, the feelings I get here walking around make everything else pale in comparison.

The temples of Angkor were built from 879 - 1191AD and are, to me, one of the most amazing architectural feats. The Khmer empire, based here, ruled the region from China to Vietnam and west to the Bay of Bengal. The over 100 temples seen at Angkor today are the surviving religious remains of a massive social and administrative metropolis. The temples are spread out over a very large area and need multiple days of viewing.

• Pros:One of the 7 Wonders of the World, amazing cultural experiences
  • Cons:Beginning to become touristy
  • In a nutshell:Go NOW!!
  • Last visit to Angkor Wat: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2008

• septem's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Great pages. Juliana

• Robdaz's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 2:45 AM

Awesome photos and tips. Will try to visit the places you mentioned when I am there. Thanks

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Thanks Jim. no time now, but will look at the rest of your pages after work. The hotel tip is exactly what I wanted. hope you visited more in S.E. asia so I can follow your tips.

• missmarianne's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2008 at 5:58 AM

wow.. informative ankor pages...!

• Mar 1, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Great Angor Wat page! volopolo

• izamacedo's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2007 at 6:09 AM

Thanks for providing history tidbits... I am looking forward to my trip!

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2006 at 7:28 AM

Very good information and photos of angkor wat. Thanks for sharing :)

• zazatann's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2006 at 2:00 AM

I just got back from Cambodia yesterday. Visiting your page makes me feel like wanna go back there tomorrow....great page. teya

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2006 at 12:24 PM

Great photographs and enjoyed the facts and quotes - well written - I am counting the days til I go back!

• goga4444's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 12:44 PM

Great informative page :) Angkor Wat seems like somthing I should add to my wish list...

Jmill42

“Live With Passion!”

Badges & Stats in Angkor Wat

Have you been to Angkor Wat?

Latest Activity in Angkor Wat