"Welcome to Viljandi" Viljandi by Travelchili
Viljandi Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 46 photos
Viljandi has not been much introduced here in VT and I would be glad to tell you more about a place so close to my heart.
Viljandi is situated in the Southern Estonia and it is the centre of Viljandi County. With its mere 20 000 inhabitants it is well known for its rich cultural traditions. To give you an example, Viljandi stages a famous Folk Music Festival every summer, last year hosting more than 400 performers. If you want to read more, go to www.folk.ee
Viljandi was first discovered over 800 years ago by Hanseatic merchants. In 1224, the construction of the powerful Order Castle was started and it was built more than 200 years. Unfortunately it was destroyed partly during the Livonian War and today one can see only some parts of the castle walls. But don't think it is not worth a visit! In the contrary, the ruins are situated in the a beautiful castle park and you can enjoy the views of Lake Viljandi.
Enjoy your trip to Viljandi and be free to ask any questions on the way..
- Pros:Beautiful town with rich history and culture
- Cons:Can't think of any
- In a nutshell:When you visit Estonia, don't forget Viljandi!
Estonia is not a country of big cities and its beauty lies in the stunning and untouched nature. Don't miss the... more travel advice
Viljandi suspention bridge was a gift from Karl von Mensenkampff in 1928 and in 1931 it was installed across the castle... more travel advice
Travelchili's Related Pages
Viljandi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Viljandi"
- "Viljandi, Estonia Castle Ruins"
- "A nice and peaceful town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Viljandi
- Hotels in Viljandi
- Transportation in Viljandi
- Restaurants in Viljandi
- Shopping in Viljandi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Viljandi
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Viljandi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Viljandi
Photos in ViljandiSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madeira Island Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nürnberg Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tsitsikamma Nasionale Park Intro, 14 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addo Elephant National Park Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 19 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bamberg Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue