"Welcome to Madeira" Madeira Island by Travelchili

Madeira Island Travel Guide: 795 reviews and 1,973 photos

Often we dream about seeing architectual wonders -- they might be Egyptean pyramids, Taj Mahal, famous skyskrapers, or Big Ben, but we may as well find a lot of pleasure in small things. I discovered this beautifil butterfly on a quiet road in Funchal, Madeira, and followed its path for as long as it allowed me to do so. It was quite remarkable and I am glad that I was able to obtain a picture of this beautiful, little creature. Hope you find beauty in little things, too!
________________________________________________________

Madeira is, above all, a land of beautiful nature. This small island is only 54km long and 23km wide, yet you can find there 22 micro-climates and mountain peaks close to 2000m.

The views of the ocean are simply breathtaking. Just imagine that besides a few tiny islands close to Madeira, the nearest land is Morocco, which is 600km away. And the Portuguese mainland lies about 1000km from Madeira.

• Pros:Beautiful nature -- high mountains, ocean, rich plant life
  • Cons:Can be touristy if you don't escape the Funchal's hotel district
  • In a nutshell:A great holiday destinations for those who love the sun, hiking, beautiful nature, water..
  • Last visit to Madeira Island: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 14, 2003

• andrea.d's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 4:14 AM

What a fantastic page! Your photos make me wanna visit Madeira even more!

• Oct 17, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I see that you did a lot for having sucha nice VT page.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM

wow, it's a fantastic place to visit!

• Jul 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM

your photos are absolutely stunning ms chilli! what is it about this island that has us all dreamy?!

• Jul 5, 2009 at 7:14 PM

You don't have to think about a thing at Reids. Everything is done for you from the ride from the airport to the time you have to leave, Reids does all the thinking and you do all the relaxing. Do see the dolphins/whales.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Very beautiful madeira photos. Wish to go there soon.

• trav4bus's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 1:35 AM

Marvellous pages and pics

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2007 at 6:03 AM

From your wonderful photos I can tell this is quite a spectacular place. The natural rock pools would certainly be a spot I'd like to spend some time!

• pikuu's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Wow, great photos (especially Botanical Gardens) and helpful info. Thanx.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2006 at 10:51 AM

AAAAaaaaaaaaah Madeira. Great plce. We have been to a lot of places and mostly we don't have to reurn. But Madeira is a place we like to go to again!

Travelchili

“"I travel, therefore I am"”

Badges & Stats in Madeira Island

Have you been to Madeira Island?

Latest Activity in Madeira Island