"Tallinn -- the capital of Estonia" Tallinn County by Travelchili

Tallinn County Travel Guide: 1,006 reviews and 1,867 photos

Tallinn was first mentioned in a written source in 1154 and it gained its rights as a city already in 1248. It developed as a major centre of the Hanseatic League and its wealth is demonstrated by the opulence of the public buildings -- churches in particular -- and the domestic architecture of the merchants' houses.

Today Tallinn is Estonia's biggest city with 400,000 inhabitants and the Old Town with its well-preserved medieval architecture was included to the UNESCO World Heritage list in 1997.

• Pros:Very unique and well-preserved Old Town
  • Cons:You never know what the weather will be like
  • Last visit to Tallinn County: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 12, 2003

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 5:10 AM

So Ande Want to go to the Olde Hansa??? You have done such an excellent sales job that I can't wait to try the Neptunýs feast! Regards Cathy

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 11:26 AM

So close and yet so far away! I'd like to visit too!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2006 at 9:40 PM

Received your postcard from lovely Tallinn. Thanks a lot Ande! Looks like I'm going there soon myself :)

• aadil's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2005 at 2:22 AM

Looks very inviting with all the good food and museums you mentioned!!! UNESCO site looks great. Nice pics and tips of your city. Hope to visit someday soon.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2005 at 5:55 AM

Great tips!! I walked into the Old Hansa just to see the interior, but didn't eat there. Just grabbed an outside table at the very non-descript Arizona Saloon. No one smiled in Tallinn we noticed!

• Yubert's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2004 at 2:58 PM

I enjoyed your write-up on Old Hansa restaurant. I ate there too! Are you from Estonia?

• Maline's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2004 at 8:16 AM

Have never been to Tallin, but I guess I should go there once! For now a virtual visit will have to do! cheers Maline

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2004 at 9:09 PM

I love those living museums, really gives you a feel for how it was. Those restaurants really sounds great also - good variety Sounds a wonderful old town to visit.

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2004 at 10:20 AM

Fantastic restaurant tips!!!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2004 at 12:47 PM

A nice page about what looks like a beautiful and interesting city.

Travelchili

“"I travel, therefore I am"”

Badges & Stats in Tallinn County

Have you been to Tallinn County?