"Frankfurt = Mainhattan" Frankfurt am Main by Bernd_L

Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide: 1,781 reviews and 3,916 photos

the most american city in Germany

Frankfurt am Main is Germanys skyscrapers-city. Usually german cities have a few high-rise buildings, but Frankfurt has the highest and the most of them. And because Frankfurt is located at the river Main its nicknamed 'Mainhattan'.

I worked in this city 20 years ago but never really got to know it. I commuted from Darmstadt and prefered this city for going out or shopping. So when I attended the VT-meeting on Saturday August 26, 2006 it wasn't a totally new city for me, but I got to know some new aspects of it.

Even now I won't fall in love with this city. But that's my personal opinion and I'm sure someone else will find this city fantastic.

As Frankfurt has Germanys biggest (and one of the most frequented european) airport, it is a gateway to the world and a place for a stopover on a Lufthansa-flight for example. So if you have some time between two flights, don't stay at the airport but take the train into the city and have a look at the skyline and its attractions.

• Pros:Lively city - easily accessible and good for a stopover
  • Cons:In my opinion too busy
  • In a nutshell:Americans will feel at home in 'Mainhattan'
  • Intro Written Aug 28, 2006

• alza's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2010 at 2:49 AM

I liked all your pics and texts here! Römerberg one was v. unusual, from a new angle, really liked it. And the Eiserner Steg always charms!The intro pic is stunning too. Thanks Bernd!

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2010 at 2:33 AM

my short visit decades back was before the era of high rises and glass towers - progress for some but not others ;-)))

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Hello, Bernd! I am sorry I had no time to explore the city..,. Only the airport.... Mal sehen...

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Hi Bernd, see you in Krakow. Give our best to Andrea (I hope I got that right), Karl

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2008 at 4:04 AM

Been to the airport (very busy!), but not the city. In May, I will visit Cologne, Duesseldorf, and Aachen. Very much looking forward to experiencing life in Germany! Best from New Jersey, Bill

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 1:43 AM

Don't be too harsh, Frankfurt's beauty is just better hidden than in some other cities ;) But even though I really like the city, I never got used to the cider.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2006 at 12:12 PM

I only saw the airport at Frankfurt = next time I'll have a closer look = nice tips = the boat trips look fun

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 2:36 PM

Bernd, fantastic start about Frankfurt. It looks like we saw an awful lot of the city even though we only took a short walk. :-)

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2006 at 12:12 PM

Great page, Bernd!!! Was man so alles schaffen kann an einem Arbeitstag!!! ;-)) Super interessant und tolle Bilder!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2006 at 4:28 AM

Hi Bernd, nice start on your new Frankfurt page. It was great to see you and Andrea at the meeting on Saturday. -- Don

Bernd_L

“Travelling can seriously damage your prejudices!”

Badges & Stats in Frankfurt am Main

Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?

Latest Activity in Frankfurt am Main