"Frankfurt = Mainhattan" Frankfurt am Main by Bernd_L
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide: 1,793 reviews and 3,934 photos
Frankfurt am Main is Germanys skyscrapers-city. Usually german cities have a few high-rise buildings, but Frankfurt has the highest and the most of them. And because Frankfurt is located at the river Main its nicknamed 'Mainhattan'.
I worked in this city 20 years ago but never really got to know it. I commuted from Darmstadt and prefered this city for going out or shopping. So when I attended the VT-meeting on Saturday August 26, 2006 it wasn't a totally new city for me, but I got to know some new aspects of it.
Even now I won't fall in love with this city. But that's my personal opinion and I'm sure someone else will find this city fantastic.
As Frankfurt has Germanys biggest (and one of the most frequented european) airport, it is a gateway to the world and a place for a stopover on a Lufthansa-flight for example. So if you have some time between two flights, don't stay at the airport but take the train into the city and have a look at the skyline and its attractions.
- Pros:Lively city - easily accessible and good for a stopover
- Cons:In my opinion too busy
- In a nutshell:Americans will feel at home in 'Mainhattan'
A nice and relaxing way to get a first overview of the many tall buildings of Frankfurt is to do a boat trip on the... more travel advice
Frankfurts gothical cathedral has been built in the 13th century (beginning 1260) and is already the fifth church... more travel advice
Bernd_L's Related Pages
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the world's best opera company"
- "The most Un-German City in Germany"
- "Main Metropolis"
- "A city better than its reputation"
- "Frankfurt - aka "Mainhattan""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frankfurt am Main
- Hotels in Frankfurt am Main
- Transportation in Frankfurt am Main
- Nightlife in Frankfurt am Main
- Restaurants in Frankfurt am Main
- Shopping in Frankfurt am Main
- Warnings and Dangers in Frankfurt am Main
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frankfurt am Main
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 46 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frankfurt am Main
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Just sharing my excitement :o)"
- Commented on one of tini58de's Frankfurt am Main travel pages
- Wrote a Review See the city from a boat about Main River in Frankfurt am Main Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "See the city from a boat"
- created a Frankfurt am Main Travel Page "Frankfurt = Mainhattan"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 75 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Island Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Formentera Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos
- Oslo Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremen Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues