"Cameroon - Afrique en miniature" Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon by Bernd_L
Cameroon Travel Guide: 390 reviews and 766 photos
Cameroon the country in Central Africa at the bend of the continent surprises with a great variety of landscape. It almost has a bit of everything Africa is known for. In the South you'll find tropical rainforest and nice beaches in the coastal region. In the extreme northern part there are deserts where the country meets lake Tschad. And in between you'll find farmland and mountains - including Mt. Cameroon, with 4.095 meters the highest mountain in Western Africa.
With a surface of 475.439 square-kilometers Cameroon is almost as big as Germany, Austria and Switzerland together. But it has only some 16 million inhabitants which belong to a lot of different ethnic groups. The major languages are French and English. But in addition a multitude of more than 200 ethnic languages are spoken by the native population.
Situated near the equator Cameroon has a tropical climate. It is warm all year long without any winter. But there are dry and rainy seasons. In the south of the country the rainy seasons are from April to June and from September to November. Rainy season doesn't mean it's raining all day long. Normally you get sunshine as well but if it rains it's pouring like hell and the dirt roads turn into mud. So the best time to visit the country is from December to April when it's dry and not so hot in the northern part of the country.
Cameroon's known history began with the discovery of the coastal region by the Portuguese in the 17th century. Portuguese, English and Dutch traders established business with the local tribes. In 1884 the country became a German colony. The Germans developed the infrastructure and built new towns. But during World War I Germany lost the colony. The territory was divided into two parts. The bigger one became a French, the smaller one an English colony. In 1960 both parts gained their independence and were reunified in 1961.
Although it is wealthier than some of the surrounding countries -due to it's political stability - Cameroon nowadays is a developing country with a lot of problems. The average income is about 600 US$ per year, and the unemployment rate is very high. As there is not much industry most people work in the agricultural sector. Even tourism is no big deal although the country would have to offer a lot. But a lack of infrastructure and comparably high costs keep tourists away. So Cameroon is a country for the individualists among the travellers, this making a trip very interesting on the one hand but also a bit difficult on the other.
For additional information contact:
Ministry of Tourism
www.cameroun-infotourisme.com (in french)
- Pros:Natural beauty in a lush tropical environment
- Cons:Lack of infrastructure and a big deal of poverty
- In a nutshell:Nearly all African landscapes in one country
The small town of Bangangte in Western Cameroon is a center of the surrounding farmland. It is situated in a beautiful... more travel advice
Marche Central is a large department store where you find all kind of stuff. more travel advice
Bernd_L's Related Pages
Cameroon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ALL IN ONE"
- "Cameroon - Afrique en miniature"
- "Two years in Cameroon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cameroon
- Hotels in Cameroon
- Transportation in Cameroon
- Nightlife in Cameroon
- Restaurants in Cameroon
- Shopping in Cameroon
- Warnings and Dangers in Cameroon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cameroon
- 23 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Cameroon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cameroon
- Posted in Travel Karlsruhe Forum "Re: Travel Info from Karlsruhe to..."
- Wrote a Review Bangangte - a rural town in Cameroon Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bangangte - a rural town"
- updated a Cameroon Travel Page "Cameroon - Afrique en miniature"
- Commented on one of Wafro's Cameroon travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 75 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Island Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Formentera Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos
- Oslo Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremen Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
Top Cameroon hotels
- Douala Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 32 Photos
- Yaounde Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Maroua Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 6 Photos
- Limbe Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Kribi Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 30 Photos
- Kousseri Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Buea Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 2 Photos
- Bonaberi Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Bertoua Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 6 Photos
- Bamenda Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 13 Photos