"The Big Fish - New Zealands North Island" Top 5 Page for this destination North Island by Bernd_L

North Island Travel Guide: 5,113 reviews and 12,436 photos

When we visited New Zealand in January 2006 we had to decide, where to go because our vacation time was limited and we were not able to see all the interesting places, this fantastic country offers. After reading some travel guides (and pages on VT of course) we went for the North Island, because in my opinion there's a bigger varity of attractions.

The main part of New Zealands population lives on this island - most of them in the two biggest urbanizations Auckland and Wellington. But outside of this urban areas you'll find a rural and almost empty country, the nature paradies which is the reason for so many travellers to visit New Zealand. Maybe the nature experience is somehow more gigantic on the South Island but if you want to see some interesting cities and some culture as well then go North.

But what has this all to do with a big fish? Well a legend of the maoris, the native population of New Zealand, tells a story about two demigods who caught a big fish while they were out on the sea in there canoe. The canoe and the fish have been transformed into the two big islands of New Zealand. And if you look on a map and have a bit imaginative power you can see the fish with Northland as its tail and the bay of Wellington as its mouth.

• Pros:A lush paradise with an interesting culture
  • Cons:A looooooooong flight from Europe
  • In a nutshell:A one in a lifetime experience to be on the other side of the globe.
  • Last visit to North Island: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2006

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Hallo, Bernd! Thanks for your nice virtual tour of North Island! NZ is a remote destination indeed...)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I love this picture of the green ferns!!! awesome - you take great photos --- and the Huka Falls look so nice, blue and refreshing...awesome pages on a place that I am hoping to visit someday, Norman :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2008 at 6:23 AM

Great tips!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2007 at 11:35 AM

great tips and photos.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2006 at 12:36 AM

Happy birthday, Bernd! Glad you had such a great trip to New Zealand. This is a very informative and interesting page with fine photos. I had no idea there was so much thermal activity over there. And I never knew the meaning of the name Rotorua, LOL.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2006 at 9:47 AM

Bernd, fabulous page with brilliant photos. I especially like your photos of the tram and the cable car. Perhaps I should add New Zealand to my must-visit list. :-)

• Morepork's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 3:37 AM

Good report on our North Isd. Pleased you enjoyed our land. Try the South isd. next time - it's really different.

Bernd_L

“Travelling can seriously damage your prejudices!”

Badges & Stats in North Island

Have you been to North Island?