"The Big Fish - New Zealands North Island" Top 5 Page for this destination North Island by Bernd_L
North Island Travel Guide: 5,050 reviews and 12,212 photos
When we visited New Zealand in January 2006 we had to decide, where to go because our vacation time was limited and we were not able to see all the interesting places, this fantastic country offers. After reading some travel guides (and pages on VT of course) we went for the North Island, because in my opinion there's a bigger varity of attractions.
The main part of New Zealands population lives on this island - most of them in the two biggest urbanizations Auckland and Wellington. But outside of this urban areas you'll find a rural and almost empty country, the nature paradies which is the reason for so many travellers to visit New Zealand. Maybe the nature experience is somehow more gigantic on the South Island but if you want to see some interesting cities and some culture as well then go North.
But what has this all to do with a big fish? Well a legend of the maoris, the native population of New Zealand, tells a story about two demigods who caught a big fish while they were out on the sea in there canoe. The canoe and the fish have been transformed into the two big islands of New Zealand. And if you look on a map and have a bit imaginative power you can see the fish with Northland as its tail and the bay of Wellington as its mouth.
- Pros:A lush paradise with an interesting culture
- Cons:A looooooooong flight from Europe
- In a nutshell:A one in a lifetime experience to be on the other side of the globe.
On the east side of Coromandel peninsula there are a lot of nice beaches. At one of the more famous you'll find a grotto... more travel advice
Situated on an isthmus between the main part of the North Island and Northland the city of Auckland stretches from the... more travel advice
Bernd_L's Related Pages
North Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The North Island"
- "The Big Fish - New Zealands North Island"
- "An Outstanding but Dangerous Beauty"
- "New Year in New Zealand"
- "The North Island- hot pools, gushing rivers"
- "Sarah and I hit New Zealand!"
- "NORTH ISLAND Nz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Island
- Hotels in North Island
- Transportation in North Island
- Nightlife in North Island
- Restaurants in North Island
- Shopping in North Island
- Warnings and Dangers in North Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in North Island
- 40 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to North Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 75 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Island Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Formentera Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos
- Oslo Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremen Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
Top North Island hotels
- Auckland Hotels
- 1035 Reviews - 2290 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 590 Reviews - 1255 Photos
- Rotorua Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 1224 Photos
- Palmerston North Hotels
- 32 Reviews - 92 Photos
- New Plymouth Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Tauranga Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Napier Hotels
- 198 Reviews - 522 Photos
- Waiheke Island Hotels
- 59 Reviews - 150 Photos
- Hamilton Hotels
- 55 Reviews - 236 Photos
- Matamata Hotels
- 26 Reviews - 127 Photos
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Lake Karapiro Hotels
- 1 Review - 4 Photos
- Gisborne Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Kerikeri Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Paihia Hotels
- 117 Reviews - 255 Photos