"Omoa - the fortress at the beach" Omoa by Bernd_L
Omoa Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 49 photos
The seaside resort Omoa at the Caribbean Coast is one of the oldest towns in Honduras. During the colonial area Omoa was an important port where the Spaniards shipped silver back to Spain.
As this was a constant target of pirates the port had to be protected. And therefore a massive fortress was built that is nowadays the main attraction of the small town.
The surrounding area is of a stunning beauty. The slopes of the Merendon Mountains are covered with tropical rainforest. So be prepared that it is very humid and rain is always an option here.
On the other hand this is the guarantee for a lush tropical vegetation. In the vicinity of the town - only a 45 minutes hike away - there is the waterfall ‘El Chorro’. It is said to be very scenic and has some swimming holes. Unfortunately when we visited the town it has been raining for several days and the path to the fall was only mud. So we decided against it.
Omoa itself is becoming more and more an interesting destination for backpackers and travellers on a shoestring budget, because there are several cheap hotels and some nice restaurants available. They are located alongside a beach that faces a nice bay of the Caribbean Sea.
- Pros:Small and relaxing destination for budget travellers
- Cons:Rains often
- In a nutshell:Well worth a detour if you visit Honduras
Markets are very colourful in Honduras. And this makes them a irresistible motive for a photographer. They offer all... more travel advice
Next to Omoa is the city of Puerto Cortez, Honduras' most important port. It's where the cruise ships arrive if they... more travel advice
Bernd_L's Related Pages
Omoa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Omoa - the fortress at the beach"
- "sleepy coastal town"
- "A nice farewell to Honduras"
- "Omoa - El Castillo de Omoa"
- "Exotic Omoa"
- "The British are Coming! Hide the Rum!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Omoa
- Hotels in Omoa
- Transportation in Omoa
- Restaurants in Omoa
- Shopping in Omoa
- Warnings and Dangers in Omoa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Omoa
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Omoa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Omoa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 75 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Island Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Formentera Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos
- Oslo Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremen Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues