"Bremen - the city of the musicians" Top 5 Page for this destination Bremen by Bernd_L
Bremen Travel Guide: 420 reviews and 1,095 photos
For centuries Bremen has been a harbour-city although it is about 60 kilometres away from the coast. River Weser made it possible. Besides Hamburg it was one of the big gateways for traders of overseas goods. And this made Bremen a rich city what can be seen in its old town quarters where you find wonderful buildings in the traditional brick architecture.
But the ships grew bigger and the Weser silted up. So large vessels couldn't reach the city anymore. Therefore the citizens built a new harbour at the coast and the city of Bremerhaven was born. Together with Bremen this city forms the smallest of the 16 federal states of Germany.
Nowadays Bremens economy is struggling after a major crisis of the shipbuilding industry. While looking for new ways to earn money they made big efforts to make the city more attractive for tourists. They already had picturesque old quarters. And they added some new objects of interest like the Universum Science Center, the Space Center and the Botanica toattract people. So go there and spend a weekend or make an excursion if you spend your vacation at the North Sea coast.
Bremen is also famous for its singing animals, the so called "Town-Musicians of Bremen". A fairy tale of the Grimm brothers tells the story of four aging animals (a donkey, a dog, a cat and a rooster) who are too old to be useful and should be killed by their owners. So the four left their homes. When they met each other on the road they decided to go to Bremen to earn their living as an "Senior-Band".
- Pros:Nice old buildings and interesting new theme centers
- Cons:Don't forget your umbrella - there's a good chance you need it
Himmelssaal (heavens room) is in the Atlantis building which is now part of the Hilton Hotel. The blue and white glass... more travel advice
Buergerpark is for Bremen what central park is for New Yorkers. A large green area where the citizens relax. At weekends... more travel advice
Bernd_L's Related Pages
Bremen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bremen - I feel this city"
- "Bremen - the city of the musicians"
- "Bremen - A World Heritage site"
- "In Bremen - briefly"
- "Stadt and Bundesland"
- "Bremen - more to see than the Town Musicians!"
- "Home of Krauser Becks"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bremen
- Hotels in Bremen
- Transportation in Bremen
- Nightlife in Bremen
- Restaurants in Bremen
- Shopping in Bremen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bremen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bremen
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Bremen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bremen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 75 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Island Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Formentera Intro, 19 reviews, 33 photos
- Oslo Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cameroon Intro, 23 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bremen Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Krakow Intro, 35 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues