"Penzance" Top 5 Page for this destination Penzance by angelis
Penzance Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 218 photos
Egyptian House is a fascinating building on Penzances' oldest Street. It is rather an incongruous sight and very beautiful. It was built by the mineriologist John to house a geological museum and now belongs to the landmark trust. Alongside the hiroglyphics on the outside run the crests of George III and IV and William IV.
Penzance is not a massive town, but it is the biggest in the Land's End peninsula ( also known as Penwith). The harbour is the most westerly on The Channel and is split into two parts. The outer area is tidal and contains luxury yachts to tiny row boats. The small inner harbour is enclosed and houses a shipwrights and repair dock. Watching the massive Scily Isles ferry Scilonia III manouver its way in hilarious and seems to be a local past-time.
Every summer thousands of tourists flock here for sun, sand, sea and of course the great views across Mounts Bay. Penzance is the place to come to catch the ferry Scililonia III or the helicopter to the Scily Isles.
The original spelling was Pen-Sans which means Holyhead in old Cornish. It refers to the now eroded headland on the site of Battery Rocks where stood the tiny chapel of St Anthony.
Until the town recieved its Charter of Incorporation from James II in 1614, it was overshadowed by nearby Mousehole.
Penzance has the only promenade in Cornwall. It stretches from the towns station right down towards Newlyn, passing Penzance's harbour and dry dock and is a beautiful walk on a sunny day. On windy days the sea can blow right over the promenade so wear your waterproofs!
- Pros:Views, summer weather, winter storms,
- Cons:Crowded in summer,
Humphrey Davy was born in Penzance, on 17th December 1776. The town has a statue of him and a pub named after him. There... more travel advice
This is the view you see at the top of Penzance's main street. The statue is a monument to Humphrey Davy and behind it... more travel advice
angelis' Related Pages
Penzance Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not a pirate in sight!"
- "Penzance : the capital of West Cornwall"
- "Penzance - The land's end is near!!!"
- "Welcome to Penzance"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Penzance
- Hotels in Penzance
- Transportation in Penzance
- Restaurants in Penzance
- Shopping in Penzance
- Warnings and Dangers in Penzance
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penzance
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Penzance?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penzance
Photos in PenzanceSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Newlyn Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Exeter Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Israel Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 14 reviews, 1 photo
- Mousehole Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penzance Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marazion Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 7 reviews, 1 photo