"A Must-See When Visiting the Bay Area" Angel Island State Park by maryellen50
Angel Island State Park Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 50 photos
The majority of immigrants to America via the West Coast were from Asia who hoped to escape the economic or political hardships of the homelands. On Ellis Island, immigrants were processed through within hours or days; on Angel Island they spent weeks or months.
This facility was primarily a detention center. Beginning with the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, laws had prohibited the immigration of certain nationalities and social classes of Asians. Although all Asians were affected, the greatest impact was on the Chinese and 70 percent of immigrants detained on Angel Island were Chinese.
An estimated 19,000 Japanese "picture brides" were processed through Angel Island by the 1920s. Immigrants from other Pacific Rim countries including Russia, Korea, the Philippines and Japan were detained here.
- Pros:Beautiful Scenery
- Cons:Parking and Ferry Transport Costs
- In a nutshell:A Must See When Visiting the Bay Area
maryellen50's Related Pages
Angel Island State Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Angel Island State Park
- Transportation in Angel Island State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angel Island State Park
- 1 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Angel Island State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angel Island State Park
Photos in Angel Island State ParkSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Nicaragua Intro, 24 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copper Canyon Intro, 15 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 14 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 12 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 9 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Salt Lake City Intro, 5 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venezuela Intro, 10 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 7 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Keys Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.