"Reykjavík the “Smokey Bay”." Reykjavík Region by maryellen50
Reykjavík Region Travel Guide: 1,524 reviews and 3,959 photos
The northernmost capital of Europe is also its westernmost one and its name, Reykjavík, translates as “Smokey Bay”. The town is situated in a geothermally active area and the first settler of Iceland, Ingólfur Arnarson, gave this name to the bay, as he saw steam rising near a cove when he first came there.
This is the most densely populated part of Iceland, a home to over 200.000 individuals, more than two thirds of the total population. The rest is covered by lava fields, icecaps and desert plateau.
The city is surrounded by mountains although its landscape is fairly flat and not very high above sea level. It spreads over an irregular peninsula projecting westwards into the Faxaflói bay, surrounded by water on three sides, the west, north and south. Unsurprisingly Reykjavík is the trade centre of the island.
- Pros:Beautiful Scenery with breathtaking landscapes
- Cons:Part of Scandinavia so expect very high prices for everything
- In a nutshell:Beautiful country with friendly people
I took the whale & Puffin Island trip. We saw several minke whales as well as Puffins. We even saw the elusive (and... more travel advice
Considered the world's purest breed, Icelandic Horses were brought by Viking ships to serve as the sole source of... more travel advice
maryellen50's Related Pages
Reykjavík Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iceland - in winter!"
- "Reykjavik 101"
- "Seamandrew's Reykjavik Region Page"
- "Reykjavik - wonderland :)"
- "Iceland, a small country with big heart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reykjavík Region
- Hotels in Reykjavík Region
- Transportation in Reykjavík Region
- Nightlife in Reykjavík Region
- Restaurants in Reykjavík Region
- Shopping in Reykjavík Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Reykjavík Region
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reykjavík Region
- 7 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Reykjavík Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reykjavík Region
Photos in Reykjavík RegionSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Nicaragua Intro, 24 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copper Canyon Intro, 15 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 14 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 12 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 9 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Salt Lake City Intro, 5 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venezuela Intro, 10 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 7 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Keys Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
Top Reykjavík Region hotels
- Reykjavík Hotels
- 866 Reviews - 2882 Photos