"May 2005 Alaska Inside Passage Cruise" Alaska by maryellen50
Alaska Travel Guide: 6,741 reviews and 14,235 photos
After years of dreaming of seeing Alaska I finally made this destination. The cruise is the least expensive way to see Alaska if traveling solo. Most cruise lines now offer a single share plan so you can book at a double occupancy rate with the possibility of having a stateroom to yourself if another single traveler is unavailable. I chose Holland America for these reasons: 1) does not cater to families (few children); 2) typically age 40+ travelers; 3) not a party boat like Princess or Celebrity.
Although I enjoyed the trip, I probably would not book another Holland America cruise. I am age 53, single, an avid kayaker, SCUBA, canoe, etc. and adventure world traveler and found most people on this cruise were not in the same category. They seem to be age 60+, married/coupled, and their idea of traveling is extensive port shopping rather than serious sightseeing. Also being confined to the ship and limited time at the ports is not my ideal way to travel. But obviously many people prefer this mode.
I chose to sail out of Vancouver so I could spend extra days there after the cruise. This is probably the most beautiful city in all of Canada. British Columbia also shares the same progressive and enlightened atmosphere of it's West Coast cities of Seattle, Portland & San Francisco.
- Pros:Beautiful Breathtaking Scenery
- Cons:Cruise was Too Short to Enjoy Everything Alaska has to offer
- In a nutshell:Definitely Worth the Cruise!
I made the mistake of booking a kayak trip through the cruiseline only to learn the day before that the excursion was... more travel advice
Being a vegetarian (no fish/chicken/beef/pork) I was a little apprehensive about the cruise food. However I was very... more travel advice
maryellen50's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 8 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
Top 10 Pages
- Nicaragua Intro, 24 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copper Canyon Intro, 15 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 14 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 12 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 9 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Salt Lake City Intro, 5 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venezuela Intro, 10 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 7 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Keys Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
Top Alaska hotels
- Anchorage Hotels
- 830 Reviews - 1525 Photos
- Barrow Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 142 Photos
- Fairbanks Hotels
- 315 Reviews - 496 Photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Hotels
- 321 Reviews - 602 Photos
- Kodiak Hotels
- 256 Reviews - 446 Photos
- Juneau Hotels
- 362 Reviews - 881 Photos
- Ketchikan Hotels
- 222 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Dutch Harbor Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 118 Photos
- Seward Hotels
- 200 Reviews - 480 Photos
- Skagway Hotels
- 170 Reviews - 499 Photos
- Tetlin Junction Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Sitka Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 278 Photos
- Kodiak Island Hotels
- 96 Reviews - 134 Photos
- Nome Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Trapper Creek Hotels
- 2 Hotels