"Sleepless in Tijuana" maryellen50's Profile

Why Live in Mexico?

I decided to move across the border after my visit to Tijuana in 2010 for cataract eye surgery at the Hospital Angeles last year. I had been considering moving to Mexico since the U.S. economy became progressively worse since 2009. As I am one of the millions of Americans who can't afford U.S. healthcare, I chose Hospital Angeles in Tijuana. Even with insurance, my out of pocket cost would have been more than the $4,500 for the surgery which included a private room.

Free Trade Zone Tijuana

Once I got to Tijuana I decided moving here was the choice for me as I could travel across the border to San Diego for work since Tijuana is part of the free trade zone border cities. It means one can live in less expensive Mexico and make U.S. wages. If you cross either San Ysidro border or the newer Otay Mesa (my preference) you quickly notice that at least 50% of car license plates are California as so many like me have discovered it is much cheaper to live in Tijuana.

Emigration across the border

Many Americans continue to emigrate across the border to live in Tijuana as the U.S. economy declines and the San Diego area becomes more unaffordable. As rent here is much less, it is possible to work in a minimum wage U.S. job and still survive better than in the U.S. where one might be living on the streets. Statistically, the Mexican economy is in much better shape than the U.S.

Most neighborhoods/barrios have a local market which is held on a specific day of the week. Our market is on Saturdays and encompasses the entire area.

What about safety?

Oh...about safety and crime. I've been in TJ for 8 months and yet to see anything that I haven't seen in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Dallas or Detroit. As in the U.S. if you live in a questionable neighborhood you expect problems. I've experienced more weirdos on the San Diego Trolley than anywhere I've been in the TJ area. And the U.S. news media tends to portray the whole country of Mexico as unsafe when in reality it is localized to certain drug traffic areas.

• Intro Updated Jul 12, 2011

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!