"Sleepless in Tijuana" maryellen50's Profile
I decided to move across the border after my visit to Tijuana in 2010 for cataract eye surgery at the Hospital Angeles last year. I had been considering moving to Mexico since the U.S. economy became progressively worse since 2009. As I am one of the millions of Americans who can't afford U.S. healthcare, I chose Hospital Angeles in Tijuana. Even with insurance, my out of pocket cost would have been more than the $4,500 for the surgery which included a private room.
Once I got to Tijuana I decided moving here was the choice for me as I could travel across the border to San Diego for work since Tijuana is part of the free trade zone border cities. It means one can live in less expensive Mexico and make U.S. wages. If you cross either San Ysidro border or the newer Otay Mesa (my preference) you quickly notice that at least 50% of car license plates are California as so many like me have discovered it is much cheaper to live in Tijuana.
Many Americans continue to emigrate across the border to live in Tijuana as the U.S. economy declines and the San Diego area becomes more unaffordable. As rent here is much less, it is possible to work in a minimum wage U.S. job and still survive better than in the U.S. where one might be living on the streets. Statistically, the Mexican economy is in much better shape than the U.S.
Most neighborhoods/barrios have a local market which is held on a specific day of the week. Our market is on Saturdays and encompasses the entire area.
Oh...about safety and crime. I've been in TJ for 8 months and yet to see anything that I haven't seen in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Dallas or Detroit. As in the U.S. if you live in a questionable neighborhood you expect problems. I've experienced more weirdos on the San Diego Trolley than anywhere I've been in the TJ area. And the U.S. news media tends to portray the whole country of Mexico as unsafe when in reality it is localized to certain drug traffic areas.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 221 Reviews
- 1,185 Photos
- 11 Countries
- 29 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sleepless in Tijuana"
updated their Profile Page "Sleepless in Tijuana"
- Wrote a Review Quaint Mexican Resort on the Beach in Ensenada Hotels
- created a Ensenada Travel Page "Weekend Trip to Ensenada With My Dogs"
- Posted in Travel Colombia Forum "Travel Agent/Travel Company for..."
- Commented on one of tini58de's Arctic travel pages
PhotosSee All Photos (1185)
Top 10 Pages
- Nicaragua Intro, 24 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Copper Canyon Intro, 15 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Intro, 14 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 12 reviews, 87 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Augustine Intro, 9 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Salt Lake City Intro, 5 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venezuela Intro, 10 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 7 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Keys Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
- Paris Hotels
- 22488 Reviews - 55061 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3099 Reviews - 5883 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos