"Tamam - Sudan?" Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan by frockland
Sudan Travel Guide: 1,186 reviews and 3,125 photos
Sudan - the country with the longest ongoing civil war in Africa, a genocide problem in Dafur, famine, poverty and starvation. A Muslim country where, Osama Bin Laden was living, building roads and training terrorists. The USA bombed it and declared it to be a country of “Axis of the Evil”. But to look at it like this might be a little bit too simple, too generalising and also following prejudices.
The civil war in the southern parts is finished and a peace agreement is signed. With the discovery of large oilfields a process of changes started. For tourist was it difficult and time-consuming to obtain a visa. Nowadays its no problem any more. Some areas require travel permits and its still not possible to travel to every part of the country but the northern parts are absolutely safe and worth a trip. Sudanese people are extremely friendly, helpful and hospitable and will be highlight of every Sudan trip.
When entering the county in Wadi Halfa I asked a customs officer how much it costs to go by pick up into the village. He looked at me, got his valet out and asked me: “You don’t have money to pay for it? Don’t worry – I will pay for you!” Many times people came to me invited me for tea, food and wanted to talk to me. A “Khawajie” (white person - but certainly spelt wrong) is in many parts of the country not seen too often and causing curiosity. I felt very safe while travelling in this country.
The area of Southern Sudan where I had been is totally different to the northern parts of the country: its bush land with lots of trees and huge swamp areas. In the whole region was only one road. The climate was very humid and not healthy.
I got an imagination how this wild land must have been looking like during the early days when Speke and the Bakers were exploring the White Nile. Living in mud houses like they always did, the women were looking after the household and the kids. The men are still warriors carrying spears or nowadays AK47s. Scars are decorating their foreheads indicating to what tribe they belong.
Southern Sudan - Northern Sudan - Sudanese Faces - Working in Sudan
- Pros:Very friendly people, easy travelling
- Cons:Hot, hot, hot
Insect bites can be very nasty and painful. Try to avoid them! more travel advice
The hygienic conditions in Sudan are low like in any other 3rd world country and cannot be compared with European... more travel advice
- See All Paradise for birders
- See All Protection against scorpions
- See All Drinking water
- See All Swimming in Khartoum
- See All Departure Tax
frockland's Related Pages
Sudan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salaam Sudan!"
- "Once Largest Country in Africa"
- "Welcome to Sudan"
- "Tamam - Sudan?"
- "Sudan, the country of contradictions"
- "Sudan the largest country in Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sudan
- Hotels in Sudan
- Transportation in Sudan
- Nightlife in Sudan
- Restaurants in Sudan
- Shopping in Sudan
- Warnings and Dangers in Sudan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sudan
- 48 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Sudan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sudan
- Uploaded a Video to Sudan
- updated a Sudan Travelogue "Stories from Southern Sudan"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stories from Southern Sudan"
- Wrote a Review Insect bites in Sudan Warnings and Dangers
- Posted in Travel Africa Forum "Malawi - Chembe Aids Project"
- Commented on one of mafi_moya's Sudan travel pages
Videos in SudanSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 48 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Albania Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- Likoma Island Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Maclear Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sulingen Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ethiopia Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues