"Malawi - The Warm Heart Of Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi by frockland
Malawi Travel Guide: 531 reviews and 1,257 photos
Since I read a report of two Dutch journalists travelling overland from Cairo to Cape Town I was fascinated by the idea to try it myself. When I finished my studies I didn t had enough time to do the whole trip but at least I wanted to make some African experience! I bought a LP - travel guide and when I finished the book I knew that I had to start my first African journey in The Warm Heart Of Africa - Malawi!%s
The plan was made and I bought my ticket. Four days before I left home there were strikes in Blantyre and Lilongwe. More than 40 people were shot by the police. With strange feelings I went on the plane not knowing what I would have to expect. Once in the country everything was fine. The people were indescribable friendly and helpful. I felt welcome every single day!
In the following years I returned to Malawi for another three times. Although it was changing a lot I enjoyed being there every time!
Since my first visit in 1992 I returned five times to Malawi. It changed a lot during the last years but its people are still extremely friendly and helpful!
Beside all the beauty of this country it should not be forgotten that there is also another side! The country is facing enormous problems: its one of the poorest countries with one of the highest HIV rates of the continent, the medical situation is not good, many children are orphans, a lot of parents can`t afford to pay the school, fees etc.
After its independence in 1963 Dr. Kamuzu Banda became the first president and ruled the country for nearly 30 years. He was one of the longest ruling dictators in the world! Under his leadership women were not allowed to wear trousers and skirts had to cover the knees, men had to have short hair. During that time even tourists had to follow that rules. A lot of travellers avoided the country because of that.
In 1994 a multiparty system was invented and elections were held. The new president was leader of the opposition party UDF. Dr Bakili Muluzi became the second president of Malawi. The country seemed to become more liberal, but unfortunately the economy rapidly was going down. People became even poorer. Results of this were the "touristy side effects" like the increase of pickpockets and muggings. Formerly known as "Africa for beginners", the situation changed a bit and is now comparable to the neighbour countries.
Malawi is a wonderful country with many highlights which is absolutely worth a visit!
The tips on this page will be sorted by the specific places
- Pros:The very friendly people, magnificent landscapes, beautiful animals
- Cons:Malaria, very basic touristic infrastructure
- In a nutshell:Sunsets are nowhere more beautiful than at Cape Maclear!
Be careful before calling someone a thief in public. An incensed crowd can execute justice (or injustice) quickly and... more travel advice
Buy a Baobab fruit. Put the seeds in a flower pot and grow your own small tree at home! more travel advice
- See All What else to bring?
- See All Highlights Of Malawi
- Diving, Hiking, Golf and Horse Riding
frockland's Related Pages
Malawi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MALAWI - THE WARMEST HEART OF AFRICA -"
- "Malawi, the warm heart of Africa"
- "Malawi - The Warm Heart Of Africa"
- "Malawi...the "warm heart of Africa!""
- "Beautiful Lake Malawi"
- "Travelling through Malawi"
- "Safari days 12 - 16"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malawi
- Hotels in Malawi
- Transportation in Malawi
- Nightlife in Malawi
- Restaurants in Malawi
- Shopping in Malawi
- Warnings and Dangers in Malawi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malawi
- 160 Reviews
- 317 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Malawi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malawi
Videos in MalawiSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 48 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Albania Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- Likoma Island Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Maclear Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sulingen Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ethiopia Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues