"Malawi - The Warm Heart Of Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi by frockland

Malawi Travel Guide: 528 reviews and 1,258 photos

STILL UPDATING

Since I read a report of two Dutch journalists travelling overland from Cairo to Cape Town I was fascinated by the idea to try it myself. When I finished my studies I didn t had enough time to do the whole trip but at least I wanted to make some African experience! I bought a LP - travel guide and when I finished the book I knew that I had to start my first African journey in The Warm Heart Of Africa - Malawi!%s

The plan was made and I bought my ticket. Four days before I left home there were strikes in Blantyre and Lilongwe. More than 40 people were shot by the police. With strange feelings I went on the plane not knowing what I would have to expect. Once in the country everything was fine. The people were indescribable friendly and helpful. I felt welcome every single day!

In the following years I returned to Malawi for another three times. Although it was changing a lot I enjoyed being there every time!

Since my first visit in 1992 I returned five times to Malawi. It changed a lot during the last years but its people are still extremely friendly and helpful!

Beside all the beauty of this country it should not be forgotten that there is also another side! The country is facing enormous problems: its one of the poorest countries with one of the highest HIV rates of the continent, the medical situation is not good, many children are orphans, a lot of parents can`t afford to pay the school, fees etc.

After its independence in 1963 Dr. Kamuzu Banda became the first president and ruled the country for nearly 30 years. He was one of the longest ruling dictators in the world! Under his leadership women were not allowed to wear trousers and skirts had to cover the knees, men had to have short hair. During that time even tourists had to follow that rules. A lot of travellers avoided the country because of that.

In 1994 a multiparty system was invented and elections were held. The new president was leader of the opposition party UDF. Dr Bakili Muluzi became the second president of Malawi. The country seemed to become more liberal, but unfortunately the economy rapidly was going down. People became even poorer. Results of this were the "touristy side effects" like the increase of pickpockets and muggings. Formerly known as "Africa for beginners", the situation changed a bit and is now comparable to the neighbour countries.

Malawi is a wonderful country with many highlights which is absolutely worth a visit!
The tips on this page will be sorted by the specific places

(more will follow if I?ll find time to work on it):

Blantyre
Mulanje
NkhataBay
Salima
Zomba

• Pros:The very friendly people, magnificent landscapes, beautiful animals
  • Cons:Malaria, very basic touristic infrastructure
  • In a nutshell:Sunsets are nowhere more beautiful than at Cape Maclear!
  • Last visit to Malawi: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 11, 2004

• eli034's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2007 at 1:41 AM

Hi!Thank you for all the useful information about Malawi. i`m planning to go, by car, from Tanzania to Namibia and plan to visit Malawi. Thank you a lot! ELI, Norway

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 12:40 AM

Fantastic insights and stories here! I really enjoyed your page. "Der Schwarze Kontinent" ist wirklich beeindruckend und lockt mit Abenteuerlust und ungewohnten Sitten... Viele Gruesse aus der Wueste :-) Jess

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2005 at 8:38 AM

Very interesting page! Ich hatte mal einen Brieffreund von Malawi, ist aber schon eine Weile her.

• perina's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2003 at 8:39 AM

My friend advised me to look at your Malawi pages, I found more than hoped.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2003 at 1:20 AM

Scuba diving in Lake Malawi - I didn't know people did that. Thanks for your tips from a country that sounds to be a great place to visit.

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2003 at 1:11 PM

A very informative page with good info and beautiful pics. Well done.

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2003 at 6:24 AM

malawi surely looks like a nice place to visit. i'd love to check out the lake. thanks for sharing the pix and tips.

• THLIN's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2003 at 6:14 AM

i also want to go to malawi sice it's a few place where i need no visa XD

• mafootje's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2003 at 12:36 PM

Looks like a nice place to visit

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2003 at 10:45 AM

Good information, nice to read about your experiences.

frockland