"Ethiopia - A Unique Country In Africa" Ethiopia by frockland
Ethiopia Travel Guide: 1,812 reviews and 8,821 photos
Famine, war, draught – that’s what most people think about when they hear the name Ethiopia. But this is by far not the truth. It’s a unique country in Africa between the Muslim neighbors in the north and in the east and the `real` black African countries in the south.
Ethiopia was never colonized and therefore it kept a strong culture that is flavored with some Italian influences dating from the occupation during the 1930s and 40s.
The country has a long and rich history where Christian religion always extremely strong and important was with a powerful influence on the people. I can`t imagine a country with more Christian churches and monasteries.
The main touristy highlights are the northern circle (Gondar, Aksum, Lalibela, Bahir Dar). Beside these places there are many more not that well known or less visited places that can be discovered by the visitors like the rock hewn churches in Tigray or the rift valley lakes. Simien and Bale Mountain National Parks offer great hiking opportunities with some stunning landscape. Not to be forgotten the Lower Omo Valley with all the different tribes and loads of wildlife living there.
What will always stay in my memory are the Faranji and you, you, you yelling kids pointing at me demanding money because I´m white!
- Pros:Beautiful landscape, interesting culture & history, nice friendly people
- Cons:Kids, beggars, overcharging hotelmanagers, exhausting bus trips
- In a nutshell:Don´t miss this country!
The best travel guide to Ethiopia in my oppinion is the Ethiopia - The Bradt Travel Guide by Phillip Briggs. He gives... more travel advice
Many Ethiopians got tattoos. Crosses on the cheeks or the forehead of men are not uncommon. Women often have tattoo... more travel advice
frockland's Related Pages
Ethiopia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A country with a warm heart..."
- "THE KINGDOM OF AFRICA"
- "THE HORN OF AFRICA"
- "An unknown jewel"
- "Northern Ethiopia and Danakil Desert"
- "Ethiopia - A Unique Country In Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ethiopia
- Hotels in Ethiopia
- Transportation in Ethiopia
- Nightlife in Ethiopia
- Restaurants in Ethiopia
- Shopping in Ethiopia
- Warnings and Dangers in Ethiopia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ethiopia
- 102 Reviews
- 196 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Ethiopia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ethiopia
- Uploaded a Video to Ethiopia
- Wrote a Review Simien Mountains in Ethiopia Things to Do
- updated a Ethiopia Travel Page "Ethiopia - A Unique Country In Africa"
- Posted in Travel Africa Forum "Malawi - Chembe Aids Project"
- Uploaded a Photo to "On the road between Addis Ababa and Nairobi!"
- Commented on one of frockland's Ethiopia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 48 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Albania Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- Likoma Island Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Maclear Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sulingen Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ethiopia Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Top Ethiopia hotels
- Addis Ababa Hotels
- 393 Reviews - 2949 Photos
- Bahir Dar Hotels
- 176 Reviews - 810 Photos
- Shashemene Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Gonder Hotels
- 124 Reviews - 520 Photos
- Lalibela Hotels
- 158 Reviews - 942 Photos
- Axum Hotels
- 104 Reviews - 593 Photos
- Turmi Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 78 Photos
- T'is Isat Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Nazret Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Moyale Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Konso Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 10 Photos
- Jinka Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 50 Photos
- Harer Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 634 Photos
- Haiti Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Gonder Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 26 Photos