"Chernivtsi - a littlebit of K&K - Monarchie" Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi by frockland
Chernivtsi Travel Guide: 145 reviews and 434 photos
Khotyn is located about 60 kilometres north of Chernivtsi at the Dnistre River. Due to the ford near the village it became a strategic place. To protect the trading routes a fortress was built in the 12th century. In 1621 there was a battle between the Turkish and Slavic forces, who managed to stop them here.
After several changes it appears now as fort with different styles. Some walls are straight, some are round etc. The walls are impressive: up to 35 meters high and more than 4 metres strong!
In 2002 renovations started. Before it was possible to climb on all the towers, walls and whatever was possible. This is unfortunately not longer allowed. (Even the tower with the view platform was closed.)
Nearby is an orthodox church.
More pictures of Khotyn-Fortress are in my travelogue
About 20 kilometres north of Khotyn is the city of Kam`janets - Podilsky, which is one of the oldest in Ukraine. First mentioned in 1106 but probably much older. The location of the old town is unbelievable: In millions of years the Smotryc River created a valley that looks like an Omega. This was the perfect place to build a settlement that seemed to be impregnable. It happened only twice in history the Kam`janets - Podilsky was occupied: in 1393 by the Lithuanians and in 1672 by the Turks.
An impressive fortress was built to defend the only possible access across the valley.
An internet side with some good pictures and historical information is: Kam`janets
If you feel like doing the 54 metres jump in Kam`janets-Podilsky, why not? more travel advice
It`s a kind of a restaurant or a drinking place but there is a couple of times a week live music performed and dancing... more travel advice
frockland's Related Pages
Chernivtsi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chernivtsi - The pearl of Northern Bukovina"
- "Chernovtsi., Capital of old Bukovina"
- "Chernivtsi - a littlebit of K&K - Monarchie"
- ""Little Vienna" between Russia and Turkey"
- "Chernivtsi, a Crossroad City"
- "Great Bukovina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chernivtsi
- Hotels in Chernivtsi
- Transportation in Chernivtsi
- Nightlife in Chernivtsi
- Restaurants in Chernivtsi
- Shopping in Chernivtsi
- Warnings and Dangers in Chernivtsi
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chernivtsi
- 12 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Chernivtsi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chernivtsi
- updated a Chernivtsi Travel Page "Chernivtsi - a littlebit of K&K - Monarchie"
- Posted in Travel Africa Forum "Malawi - Chembe Aids Project"
- Commented on one of haimico's Chernivtsi travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kam`janets-Podilsky"
- Wrote a Review English speaking assistance in a case of emergency in Chernivtsi Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 48 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Albania Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- Likoma Island Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Maclear Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sulingen Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ethiopia Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Chernivtsi hotel reviews
- Cheremosh Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013