"Charming Odesa" Odessa by frockland
Odessa Travel Guide: 509 reviews and 1,318 photos
Odesa is the main port of Ukraine. Early settlements were dated to the 12th century. The location was useful as a port as well as a fort to control trading routes. In 1526 the Osman Turks took over the place and erected a fort in 1764. 15 years later Tatars and Russians occupied the place and started to build a new fortress and harbour during the following years. Europe’s best architects were called to build up a new city. In 1803 Emmanuel Richelieu, a French nobleman who had to flee from the French revolution, became governor and made Odesa a prosperous city. Beautiful buildings with stucco decorated facades bear witness of that period. In 1894 there had been 50 Orthodox, 3 Catholic, 3 Protestant churches and eleven synagogues!
During WW 2 Odesa suffered heavy damage when German and Romanian troops occupied the city. Many civilians were killed.
Since ever many people of different origin were living in Odesa: Ukrainians, Russians, Jews, Greeks, Moldavians, Bulgarians and a few Germans. This gives the city a cosmopolitan flair.
There are many money changers hanging around Potemkin Steps. Don`t change money with them unless you have too much of it... more travel advice
One good opportunity to stay in Odesa is a homestay. There are always women waiting in front of the railway station for... more travel advice
frockland's Related Pages
Odessa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Capital of Humor"
- "0dessa - a visionary metropolis..."
- " The Southern Capital of Ukraine"
- "La plus méditerranéenne des villes d'Europe"
- "The pearl of the Black Sea"
- "Odessa on the Black Sea"
- "Me & My previous ship in the Background"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Odessa
- Hotels in Odessa
- Transportation in Odessa
- Nightlife in Odessa
- Restaurants in Odessa
- Shopping in Odessa
- Warnings and Dangers in Odessa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Odessa
- 13 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Odessa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Odessa
Photos in OdessaSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 48 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Albania Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- Likoma Island Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Maclear Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sulingen Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ethiopia Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues