"Cape MacLear" Cape Maclear by frockland
Cape Maclear Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 267 photos
Cape MacLear is the place which most travellers will visit at least once while they are in Malawi.
Its located on the north western cost of Nankubamba Peninsula about 20 kilometres from Monkey Bay. There is a village called Chembe and The Lake Malawi National Park, but both places are known as Cape MacLear.
Chembe village is spread along the coastline with its sandy beaches. There are many backpackers going since more than 25 Years.
The sunsets at Cape MacLear are the most impressive in Malawi!
I met him the first time in 1992. He called himself "Mac Beth" and his brother "Duncan". "My father liked Shakespeare!" He was the most charming guy around and I enjoyed doing some daytrips and BBQs with him. In 1995 he was divorced from his wife and drunk all the time. Two years later he called himself Mohamed was consuming lots drugs and didn t remember me anymore.
There is also another side of this peaceful place, I was not aware of: In Chembe Village are about 11.000 - 15.000 people living. 1.500 of them are orphans!!! There is starvation, Bilharzia and HIV! If you are bored of hanging around on the beach, visit the guys of the "Chembe Aids Project" . They are happy to explain to you their work and the massive difficulties they are facing! Things have changed here recently and its not like the homepage showing ... more soon
- Pros:Beautiful beaches,indescribable sunsets, friendly locals
- Cons:many tourists, no public transport
- In a nutshell:This place could have been quite close to paradise
Ist not at typical tourist highlight but if you are bored of hanging around on the beaches or you need a break from... more travel advice
Chikonde Lodge is part of the Chembe Aids Project. There are 7 small double rooms and a cramped dorm. The rooms are... more travel advice
- See All Exellent food
- See All Mawala Wa Mphini
- Waiting for the ferry
frockland's Related Pages
Cape Maclear Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cape MacLear"
- "Backpacking in Cape Maclear"
- "crystal clear"
- "Cape Maclear"
- "The Warm Heart Of Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape Maclear
- Hotels in Cape Maclear
- Transportation in Cape Maclear
- Nightlife in Cape Maclear
- Restaurants in Cape Maclear
- Shopping in Cape Maclear
- Warnings and Dangers in Cape Maclear
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cape Maclear
- 23 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Cape Maclear?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape Maclear
Photos in Cape MaclearSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 48 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Albania Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- Likoma Island Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Maclear Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sulingen Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ethiopia Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues