"Likoma Island" Likoma Island by frockland
Likoma Island Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 62 photos
North east of Nkhotakota, only a few kilometres off Mosambiques coast, are the two Islands "Likoma" and "Chizumulu" located. Likoma is eight kilometres long and about three kilometres large. There are about 9000 inhabitants living.
Witchcraft was wide spread on the island, which can be seen in its old name “Chipyela” – place of fire. Women, who were suspected to be witches, were burnt here until the end of the 19th century. The name “Likoma” means pleasant or nice.
In 1882 Reverent William Johnson arrived at the lake coming from Zanzibar. He was on the opinion the best way to evangelise the local tribes, could be managed by using a boat. In 1885 the Charles Janson was brought to the lake. Likoma became a base for the missionaryýs activities.
In the early 20th century a cathedral was built as a sign for a successful establishment of Christian belief. Therefore the size of the church was as Westminster Abbey in London. (100m x 30m) All material was brought to the island carried on the heads of hundreds of porters. Inside the cathedral there are stones from Canterbury, soil from Jerusalem, carvings from Oberammergau and a wooden cross made out of the tree underneath David Livingstones heart is buried.
It said that Likoma sank a few centimetre because of the "heavy" cathedral, which is the main attraction nowadays!
At the end of 1995 the variety of food available on Likoma Island was quite limited. There was enough “nsima”, “capenta” (small dried fish) and cookies but beside of that – nothing! Amongst the few (7) “azungu” visitors there was the rumour spread that the situation on Chizumulu was nearly like paradise. Proper meals even with meat! So everybody took the first chance to sail to the smaller Island. After 9 hours on the lake we arrived at “Kubira Lodge”. The friendly Manger came to introduce the staff to the new visitors. “This is our cook. His name is Better!” The guy next to me whispered: “I hope things don’t become worse!” But it wasn’t like that. The food Better prepared was unbelievable delicious!
Don´t miss Chizumulu Island!
Information about Chizumulu can be find in the Likoma section.
- Pros:Remote Island if you want to get away from it all
- Cons:Very hot and not too much food!
A service at St. Peter`s is long! Three hours are average and its easy going. Usually it starts at 8 am but if you are... more travel advice
In the village of Khuyu Dr.W.J.Kumpalotta is running a chipatala. He his an interesting character and likes to be... more travel advice
frockland's Related Pages
Likoma Island Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Likoma Island
- Hotels in Likoma Island
- Transportation in Likoma Island
- Nightlife in Likoma Island
- Restaurants in Likoma Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Likoma Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Likoma Island
- 26 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Likoma Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Likoma Island
Photos in Likoma IslandSee All Photos (62)
Videos in Likoma IslandSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 48 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Albania Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- Likoma Island Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Maclear Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sulingen Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ethiopia Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues