"Livingstonia´s breathtaking view!" Livingstonia by frockland
Livingstonia Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 16 photos
Livingstonia is located at the edge of Khondowe Plateau about 800 meters above Lake Malawi. The view is breathtaking!
1884 Scottish missionaries chose this place to establish a mission, after they failed with this project at Cape Maclear. This location was perfect: water springs and good agricultural conditions were found. In the following years Livingstonia became the most important place for education in Nyasa-Land.
In the year 1902 a road was built to connect the mission with the main Karonga – Mzuzu road. The first kilometres the road is winding up hill in 20 steep bends, which are numbered.
In 1895 a 5km long pipeline system was build to supply the mission with drinking water. A year later the first street-lighting was installed and a small power station erected. 1911 “The Gordon Memorial Hospital” was finished.
Until nowadays Livingstonia is a place with training centres and schools. The people are very friendly and well educated, so that it is not astonishing that the young ones will come to talk to you or even better: “Hi my name is Robert and I want to become your pen friend!” …
Its not easy to reach Livingstonia but its worth going there to enjoy the view and the quiet and relaxed atmosphere.
- Pros:Magnificent views
- Cons:It´s off the beaten track
The kids of Livingstonia will offer to to your washing or to guide you. If you need one of these “services”, make sure... more travel advice
frockland's Related Pages
Livingstonia Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Livingstonia
- Hotels in Livingstonia
- Transportation in Livingstonia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Livingstonia
- 14 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Livingstonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Livingstonia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 48 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Albania Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- Likoma Island Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Maclear Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sulingen Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ethiopia Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues