""Monkey Bay - Home of the Ilala"" Monkey Bay by frockland
Monkey Bay Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 40 photos
Monkey Bay is the most southern harbour of Lake Malawi. It’s the base of the two ferries “Ilala” and “Mtendere”. The town itself is nothing special, except that probably most travellers pass through on their way to Cape Maclear / Lake Malawi National Park.
There had been a “rolling bank” several years before, but after some robberies this service was stopped.
There is a PTC, some small street markets! ... and of course its the place to start or finish your cruise on the lake.
About 1,5 km south of Monkey Bay is the very friendly fishing village of Masasa.
There is nothing special to do, except relaxing on the beach or watching the villagers preparing their gear for the next fishing trip. Its more relaxed and less touristic than Cape MacLear.
Three kilometers out of town on the Mangochi road is the "Njobvu Backpackers". Also known as "White Rock". "White Rock"... more travel advice
A truck leaves every afternoon near "Ulenje´s Cafe´". Thats the building near the "Condom-Wall". Its more pleasent... more travel advice
frockland's Related Pages
Monkey Bay Travel Guide
- Hotels in Monkey Bay
- Transportation in Monkey Bay
- Restaurants in Monkey Bay
- Warnings and Dangers in Monkey Bay
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Monkey Bay
- 13 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Monkey Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monkey Bay
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 48 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Albania Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- Likoma Island Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Maclear Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sulingen Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ethiopia Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues