"Lalibela - A Holy Heritage Built by Angels" Top 5 Page for this destination Lalibela by frockland
Lalibela Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 942 photos
Lalibela is a quiet mountain village that is famous and world wide known for its rock-hewn churches. Only 50 years ago the remote village was quite difficult to reach. Leaving from Weldiya - the nearest city - it took several days by mules get to here. Nowadays it much easier since a road was finished and the airport was opened. But still it takes about 2 days from Bahir Dar and Addis Ababa or three days from Aksum by bus.
Monolithic churches are a churches made out of a single block of stone. They are usually hewn from the ground or from the side of a hill or mountain. There are many monolithic churches around Tigray but Lalibela is the most well known place for this impressive constructions. All the 13 monolithic churches in Lalibela were probably constructed within a 100-year period around the 13th century. The still functioning churches belong to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. In recognition of their significance the rock hewn churches were declared as a UNESCO World Heritage.
Tickets – are 100 Birr and valid for your entire stay in Lalibela. They will allow you access to all the churches in... more travel advice
The local dishes are excellent and delicious. In average you will have to pay about 8 Birr for a local dish and about 15... more travel advice
frockland's Related Pages
Lalibela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ethiopia's top attraction"
- "BEYOND PETRA"
- "Lalibela - A Holy Heritage Built by Angels"
- "Biblical Lalibela"
- "Legendary Lalibela"
- "8th (unofficial) Historical World Wonder!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lalibela
- Hotels in Lalibela
- Transportation in Lalibela
- Nightlife in Lalibela
- Restaurants in Lalibela
- Shopping in Lalibela
- Warnings and Dangers in Lalibela
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lalibela
- 9 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Lalibela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lalibela
Photos in LalibelaSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 48 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Albania Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- Likoma Island Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Maclear Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sulingen Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ethiopia Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues