"Ismailya" Ismailia by frockland
Ismailia Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 49 photos
Ismailya was named after Pasha Ismail the Khedive of Egypt during the time of construction. Is a pleasant city with tree lined boulevards. During the construction of the Suez Canal it was the base of the Suez Canal Company. The Canal Administration is still based here.
Probably it is the most picturesque newer city in the region. There are no ancient sites to visit and therefore not many visitors come here. But there are some nice villas left from the time when the British and French were here.
The city was heavily damaged during the 1967 and 1973 war. When it was rebuilt it was taken care to keep its charm. But the city is divided into two by the train line. East of the tracks is the clean pleasant part with the main square Midan al Gomhuriyya, on the other side is the interesting “disaster area” where the old bus station and taxi rank is.
The main attraction is the Canal which is about a good 40 minutes walk east of the city. Its a pleasant walk and as there is not too much to visit here its worth watching the large ships passing by!
The Suez Canal is certainly the main attraction of Ismailya! Its one of the worlds most important water ways. The idea... more travel advice
There are several local restaurants and takeaways in the market area. Food is cheap and delicious. Have a closer look... more travel advice
frockland's Related Pages
Ismailia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Suez canal"
- "My home town"
- "The village on the Suez Channel"
- "Crossing the Suez"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ismailia
- Hotels in Ismailia
- Transportation in Ismailia
- Restaurants in Ismailia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ismailia
- 7 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Ismailia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ismailia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 48 reviews, 101 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Albania Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos
- Likoma Island Intro, 26 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malawi Intro, 31 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cape Maclear Intro, 23 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sulingen Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ethiopia Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues