"Guayaquil - The 'Pearl of the Pacific'" Top 5 Page for this destination Guayaquil by namastedc
Guayaquil Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 461 photos
Guayaquil is a hot tropical city. While not the tourist mecca of Quito, it offers plenty to keep you busy for a few days.
The friendly, approachable demeaner of the Guayaquilenos will make you feel at home in no time at all.
Most tourists to Guayaquil will visit the famous 'Iguana Park' in the center of town (about 2 blocks West of the Malecon 2000). This park is impressive only because of the hundreds of giant iguanas who seem to have no fear. These beasts walk around completely unfazed by the gawking tourists.
It's even possible to pose with an Iguana, that you are petting or feeding (a banana works best), without losing a finger.
However, you don't need to go to that park to see the iguanas - they can be found virtually everywhere you might go in the city. Just look for the telltale iguana droppings under trees in any park (don't stand under these trees for too long!) and if you are patient and have a good eye, you will see one sunning on a high branch.
The city government of Guayaquil has been working hard to improve the image of the city, and there are a number of new sites to show for these efforts.
The Malecon 2000, on the Rio Guayas, is the most famous - it is a 2km boardwalk area along the river that is safe, beautiful, and full of things to do (gardens, museams, theaters, shops, food, etc.)
The other places I would recommend to visit are:
Parque Historico on Sanborondon
Cerro Blanco (West of the City - and not a municipal project)
Guayaquil has a new malecon, west of the Malecon 2000, on the Salado estuary. From the south end of this malecon you can... more travel advice
Habitat for humanity, as of last year, is active in Guayaquil and is often looking for volunteers to help build houses.... more travel advice
namastedc's Related Pages
Guayaquil Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guayaquil - The 'Pearl of the Pacific'"
- "Santiago de Guayaquil - Up River"
- "Looking back to the river"
- "A short stop over in Guayaquil"
- "Only an overnight stop"
- "beautifull Guayaquil"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guayaquil
- Hotels in Guayaquil
- Transportation in Guayaquil
- Nightlife in Guayaquil
- Restaurants in Guayaquil
- Shopping in Guayaquil
- Warnings and Dangers in Guayaquil
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guayaquil
- 14 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Guayaquil?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guayaquil
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guayaquil Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Quito Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Cuenca Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Provincia de Manabí Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riobamba Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Panama 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Baños Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manta 3 reviews, 2 photos