"Paarl ( meaning pearl)" Top 5 Page for this destination Paarl by antonela
Paarl Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 87 photos
The Khoikhoi and San people were the first people to live here. San rock art can still be seen around Paarl.
Paarl is the third oldest European settlement in South Africa.
People of Paarl are descendants from the Khoisan, African and Eastern slaves, Dutch, French Huguenots, Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe, Italian prisoners of war and Xhosa migrant workers. A real diverse community, approx 108 ,000 , largest town in the winelands.
In 1657 the public treasurer of the Cape of Good Hope settlement ,Abraham Gabemma, after seeing the huge granite rock in Paarl glistening in the sun after rainfall, named it t the "Diamond and Pearl " mountain, and Paarl retained the name (from its Dutch history).
Because of our mediterranean-like climate, and the fertile soil, the settlers planted orchids, vegetables and vines.
Thanks to the French Huguenots, and their skills and knowledge of winegrowing, they planted vines, today some of the best red wines in the world are produced in Paarl. Paarl has the commercial structure of a small city, without sacrificing its country atmosphere.
Paarl has a Main road of about 11 km, lined with old oak trees, many vineyards in and around the residential neighbourhoods ,attractive Cape Dutch Houses, many historical homes. Paarl is the only town to have an Afrikaans language monument, as the language originated here.
Many attractions, scenic drives, hiking trails, about 100 winetasting estates, and excellent restaurants.
Paarl ironically has not really been discovered by tourists, maybe being overshadowed by neighbouring towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch, so it is still rather affordable to spend a holiday here.
- Pros:Very relaxing, stunning views, rewarding for wine lovers.
- Cons:No night life.
- In a nutshell:Best kept secret, but not for long.
Paarl has two very good golf courses Boschenmeer 27 hole Pearl Valley 19 hole (Jack Niklaus Design) more travel advice
One of the things to visit is obviously a striking monument in Paarl . Albeit also controversial. The The design of the... more travel advice
antonela's Related Pages
Paarl Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paarl ( meaning pearl)"
- "Plenty to like about the Pearl of the Winelands"
- "a short drive from Cape Town is PAARL"
- "Het Taalmonument (The language monument)"
- "Paarl and the Winelands"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paarl
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Paarl?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paarl
Photos in PaarlSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Cape Town Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Locri Intro, 4 reviews, 25 photos
- Sun City Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos
- Africa Intro, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mykonos Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paarl Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Austria Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Genoa Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Corfu Island Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Greece Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos