"The forgotten part of Ontario" Top 5 Page for this destination Thunder Bay by chris_i79

Thunder Bay Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 332 photos

I was born in Thunder Bay and spent most of my life here. But due to its size and isolation I never wanted to live there permanently. I am still hoping to be able to have that little red house moved to my Sydney Australia page one day! Currently I am living in Vancouver, but I am sure I can answer any questions you may have about Thunder Bay.

Thunder Bay has a population of around 100 000 people and is located in Northern Ontario on the shores of the largest lake in the world, Lake Superior. It was formerly two cities known as Port Arther and Fort William. They joined in the 1970's to form Thunder Bay. The city is a victim of what I like to call the Springfield vs Shelbyville sydrome (The Simpsons). What I mean by that is both sections of the city are rivals and do not seem to work towards a common goal.

The reason for visiting the area is not the city itself but the beautiful surroundings. Northern Ontario is truly a nature lovers paradise with pristine lakes and rivers, endless forests and rocky cliffs and mountains. Within a couple hours driving distance of the city are hundreds of lakes and rivers, many highly rated provincial parks and other campgrounds that allow you to enjoy the outdoors.

Thunder Bay is also only 45 min from the Minnesota Border of the United States.

During the summer it is quite nice here, but during the winter it is bitterly cold, it is not uncommon for the mercury to drop to -30 or -40... you ask Celious or Farenhiet at this point....but it doesn't matter because at those temps the scales actually meet! The winter typically lasts from November till April and unless you are looking for ice and snow I would suggest visiting during the summer months....when the risk of frostbite is at a minimum (although not impossible hahaha!).

If you need any more information about the city or the area you can check out:

• Pros:Beautiful nature, quiet
  • Cons:Long bitterly cold winters, short summers, very isolated, lack of jobs or future and not a single Palm tree!!
  • In a nutshell:keep your visit to the city short, explore the surrounding area
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2005

• sunsea's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2004 at 5:03 AM

Nice home town! Short summers - it`s a pity!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2004 at 4:51 PM

Very interesting and informative pages, Chris. I hope we can come back to Thunder Bay when we have a little more time to explore.

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2004 at 5:41 AM

Really nice pics. I don't like the cold so well but I like the people and scenery in Canada. -- Greg

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2004 at 7:36 PM

A lovely area, and I'm sure much more enjoyable in the summer months. However, because of the isolation, you have such natural beauty. Good pages.

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2004 at 10:26 PM

Very scenic area you live in - although I imagine winters would be pretty brutal. There's also a monument overlooking Mt Terry Fox in BC. Inspirational story!

• Dec 4, 2003 at 7:32 PM

Hola! Amazing photos, Thunder Bay doesn't look that bad at all. I love your Lake Superior photos, nature is beautiful - I have seen some of it before ....Hasta Luego!

• Ro_Han's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 8:13 AM

Amazing pictures!!!! I love them! : )

• Mez77's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2003 at 7:10 PM

You're lucky! I'd love to be able to see the Northern Lights. Is there any chance in January from Montreal?

• epicult's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2003 at 1:05 PM

Hahaha... don't feel bad. I've been to far worse places in Canada, trust me. I agree with you on the nightlife tip...it can be a pretty "rough" place. I've had the pleasure of touring through on many occasions. Some very beautiful country.

chris_i79 Was Born Here!

chris_i79

“Point me in the direction of the nearest beach”

Badges & Stats in Thunder Bay

Have you been to Thunder Bay?

Latest Activity in Thunder Bay