"STROMBOLI" Top 5 Page for this destination Isola Stromboli by banshee11
Isola Stromboli Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 87 photos
Stromboli is the northernmost of the Aeolian Islands, a group of volcanic islands located between Sicily and the southern part of the Italian mainland. The distance to the Italian mainland is 54 km, while there are 240 km to Naples (Napoli) and 55 km to Sicily. The nearest of the other Aeolian Islands is Panarea, 18 km to the Southwest. Stromboli is a continuously active stratovolcano. The summit is at 924 m.a.s.l. However, the base of the volcano is between 1500 and 2000 m below the sea. The surface area of the island is only 12.6 square kilometres.
There are two settlements on the island: Stromboli in the Northeast and the tiny village of Ginostra in the Southwest. In 1991 the total permanent population of the island was 361. However, during the summer months there are many more residents (tourists, employees of hotels etc).
The population had been much bigger during the 19th century. In 1891 it had reached a maximum of 2716. In the first half of the 20th century a massive emigration took place, both to mainland Italy, and to overseas countries such as the US and Australia.
Fishing and agriculture (figs, vine) was most important during last century. Today food production is almost nil, and tourism is the major source of income. Punta Lena, in the Southwest part of the island, was extensively cultivated, but it is now almost abandoned.
- Pros:it's not what you see everyday!
- In a nutshell:black and white - the colours on stromboli
arriving on stromboli i first didn't exactly know what i had to expect from the hiking trip up to the craters... and... more travel advice
There are several food shops, a pharmacy and one bakery on Stromboli. «Touristy» boutiques are open in the season. It... more travel advice
banshee11's Related Pages
Isola Stromboli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "one of the rare volcanos in continuous eruption"
- "Isola Stromboli"
- "The Island Of Volcano.."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isola Stromboli
- Hotels in Isola Stromboli
- Transportation in Isola Stromboli
- Nightlife in Isola Stromboli
- Restaurants in Isola Stromboli
- Shopping in Isola Stromboli
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isola Stromboli
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Isola Stromboli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isola Stromboli
- Posted in Travel Basse-Normandie Forum "lighthouse accommodation"
- Commented on one of mel_bee's Isola Stromboli travel pages
- updated a Isola Stromboli Travel Page "STROMBOLI"
- Wrote a Review climbing stromboli - a really great experience in Isola Stromboli Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "STROMBOLI"
Photos in Isola StromboliSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Helsinki Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isola Stromboli Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skagen Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Liestal Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oostende Intro, 8 reviews, 5 photos
- Brockenhurst Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zeebrugge Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hastings Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Bournemouth 6 reviews, 2 photos
Latest Isola Stromboli hotel reviews
- Hotel Miramare
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013