"East Coast Journey (August 2006)" roadnottaken's Profile

Vancouver>New York>Montreal>Toronto>Vancouver

I am keeping track of this trip in a small blog travelogue - http://roadnottaken.travellerspoint.com

Places I Have Seen

As you can probably see on my "travel pages", I have now stepped foot in exactly 20 countries.

Here is a short overview of my travels up until now:
2006 Went all over British Columbia + NYC, Montreal, Toronto, etc. A big trip is planned for December (2-week bike journey in Cuba). Possible flights to Cancun and/or Rio as well.
2005 A trip to Calgary for the Stampede and a visit to NYC
December 2004 - January 2005 A 'revolutionary' trip to Ukraine via Toronto and New York City. I felt I had to go take part in some way ... so I signed up as an international election monitor. That was interesting to say the least.
July-September 2004 A six-week-long European jaunt. I went via Amsterdam, explored the Czech Republic, a quick glance at Poland and then on to Ukraine - back to the 'roots'. That was an awesome homecoming after seven long years. On the way back, I made a stop in Sweden.
February 2004 Skiing trip to Mt. Washington (located on Vancouver Island).
January 2004 Another skiing trip to Mt. Washington.
August 2003 Road trip along the east coast of Vancouver Island north to Port Hardy. Ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert (near Canada's border with Alaska). Visit to British Columbia's Sunshine Coast.
June-July 2003 European backpacking journey (2 weeks), taken with a British friend of mine. Our route was Denmark > Germany > Switzerland > Italy > Austria > Germany > Netherlands > Belgium > Britain.
Winter/Spring 2003 Weekend trip to Seattle, weekend trip to Whistler ski resort, visit to Victoria on Vancouver Island.
Fall 2002 Move to Vancouver, Canada.
Summer 2002 3-week European backpacking trip with my sister. The itinerary was Germany > Austria > Hungary > Slovenia > Croatia > Austria > Germany.
December 2001 Vacation to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.
June 2000 Vacation to Cuba (Varadero, Havana).
1997-2000 Road trip to USA (from Toronto to Florida and back, including stops in New York, Atlanta, and Orlando), two other visits to New York, long camping tour along Lake Superior and the northern part of Ontario, frequent camping trips to Algonquin National Park in Ontario.
1997 Move from Kyiv to Toronto
Before 1997 Annual vacations to the beautiful Crimean peninsula on the Black Sea, road trip to Carpathian mountains, school camp trips to Poland and Illichevsk (near Odessa, Ukraine). I also visited Canada in 1996 to "scope it out".

About Myself

Here is some information about me. I was born in Kyiv, Ukraine (aka Kiev) where I lived until I was fourteen. At that time, I had moved to Toronto, Canada. Having spent the following five years there, I relocated again.

This time, my destination was across the continent - Vancouver, Canada. I moved there to enroll in the University of British Columbia (UBC). Currently, I am working in Vancouver and enjoying my first summer in this wonderful city. I am also in the midst of planning yet another backpacking trip.

As for hobbies, I spend lots of time reading and watching films (mostly indie ones lately). I love to go to the beach and nights out on the town with friends. I play a lot of basketball, football and volleyball. My favorite sports teams? AC Milan (Serie A football), Toronto Raptors, (NBA basketball), Dynamo Kyiv (Ukrainian football), and the Minnesota Vikings (NFL).

Feel free to contact me with questions about Kyiv, Toronto, and Vancouver as I consider all three of these places home and know them well.

I Would Love to See ...

I would like to venture to South America for a while (especially Brazil including the Amazon, Argentina and Chile, Venezuela and the Galapagos Islands). Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar, India, Sri Lanka, etc.) is another dream destination. Someday, I want to return to Cuba for a long coast-to-coast bicycle trip and do some island-hopping in the Carribean (from Cuba all the way to Venezuela perhaps). I am also seriously thinking of going to Germany for World Cup 2006!

• Intro Updated Aug 21, 2006

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
roadnottaken's Profile Photo

roadnottaken

“To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L.S.”

Real Name