"Bar Harbor" Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor by where2next

Bar Harbor Travel Guide: 216 reviews and 544 photos

Bar Harbor is a very relaxing and unpretentious town to visit. This view is from near the top of a hill within Acadia National Park. The town is small (as you can see). I went sea kayaking around the two islands on the left of this photo.

This hotel is located right near the harbor and close to main street. Did you know that Martha Stewart, Mel Gibson, and John Travolta each has a home up in Bar Harbor? Well, that is what our Kayak guides related. I could understand why as the feeling in the town is so relaxing and unassuming.

Sea Kayaking is pretty cool. This is around the harbor area, though actually I had hoped to go into Acadia Park
(water was too rough).

The town of Bar Harbor is a great place to relax as it has a nice mix of restaurants, bars, and places to shop.

• Pros:A Wonderful Small Town
  • Last visit to Bar Harbor: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 1, 2004

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Chalk me up as another visitor to your page that is planning a trip to this area. Your page was very helpful! :-)

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2005 at 12:41 PM

Just another VTer planning for my next trip. Enjoyed the photos in the travelogues.

• annk's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2005 at 12:45 PM

Thanks for the tips. I am planning a similar trip with lots of kayaking next summer.

• Easty's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2004 at 4:30 PM

This is one of my favorite vacation spots. Nice pictures!!!

• Apr 25, 2004 at 3:23 PM

I think the park pays that seagull, he ends up in everyone's pictures! *G* Thanks for the birthday wishes :) great pages you have here!

• vivalasteph's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2004 at 8:18 PM

Ah, afternoon beers at the Thirsty Whale. I remember it well. Nice job, John!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2004 at 4:41 PM

Bar Harbor is EXACTLY as you've described it. Martha Stewart was thinking of buying a house in one of our coastal towns, Bolinas, but the residents stopped that one dead in its tracks. Thanks for visiting my Slovenia page!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2004 at 9:48 PM

Sea Kayaking sounds terrific. Would love to do some with my girls around some gr8 spots at North Haven. Really enjoy reading about these smaller places. Have seen a bit of the Pac NthWest & would love to see a bit of the Atlantic NE!

where2next

“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I chose to create a brand new path!”

Badges & Stats in Bar Harbor

Have you been to Bar Harbor?

Latest Activity in Bar Harbor