"Eger" Eger by where2next
Eger Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 460 photos
Eger is a great day trip from Budapest. It is about a 3-4 hour train ride due East and then a little bit North.
Here is the main square. In addition to the church in the foreground there is another in the background (yellow building). This picture was taken from the old fort / castle. In addition to the history and quietness of the town, a fun part of the visit was a trip to the local wineries. Eger is famous in this region for red wine. Also, of note is that the Tokaj wine region is a little east of Eger. We did not visit there though the wine from Tokaj has a very good reputation.
I found this link on Eger to be a good overview of its history. In short, like many towns in this region, the town was invaded and ruled by various folks and had its fare share of fires. Nevertheless, the town of about 60,000, is thriving today.
Here is a close-up of the statue in main square. It's a grisly reminder of the past when war was common, especially in this region where the Turks and Hungarians often battled. Fortunately, this is in the past as Eger on a whole is a very pleasant place to visit.
On an brighter note, here is a picture of a typical street. Most all of the buildings are of this type - great colors and of varying types. Interestingly, old town Bratislava has parts that are very similar looking.
- Pros:Well Preserved, "Mom and Pop" Wineries
- In a nutshell:Charming Town
Eger has a great reputation for red wine. What's really interesting, though, is that there are a dozens of mom and pop... more travel advice
where2next's Related Pages
Eger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome To Eger"
- "Eger - I was delighted"
- "Eastward Ho! Reliving Past Glories"
- "Ben-UK's Eger page"
- "Land of Wine, Women and Song"
- "Little Eger"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eger
- Hotels in Eger
- Transportation in Eger
- Nightlife in Eger
- Restaurants in Eger
- Shopping in Eger
- Warnings and Dangers in Eger
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lake Ouachita State Park Hotels
- Friday Harbor
- Port Alfred
- Captain Cook Hotels
- Parish of Saint James
- Ko Khai
- Caxarias Hotels
- Largo, Key Hotels
- Margaret River
- Parròquia de La Massana Hotels
- Kukkal Hotels
- Dunmore East
Badges & Stats in Eger
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Eger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eger
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor Intro, 12 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Grand Canyon Intro, 7 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Charleston Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cleveland Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Piran Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.