"A side trip to Melbourne." Melbourne by Dreks

Melbourne Travel Guide: 3,377 reviews and 7,601 photos

On my last week in Australia I pushed through with my planned 4-day side trip to Melbourne. I initially intended to take a round trip XPT Express train from Sydney but was wooed by the poster ads to fly via Virgin Blue @ AUD85.00. When I purchased my one-way air ticket (not exactly the usual airplane ticket but an internet computer print-out only) I ended up paying a higher fare @ AUD112.00 for a weekend flight plus some hidden charges. (My return trip via XPT was only AUD66.00 for a 7-day advance purchase.) On Saturday, August 04, 2003 at 5:30am, I made my way out of a friends’ house at Mt. Druitt, NSW for my 7:15am flight. Unfortunately, I was completely unaware of the interruption of train service from Mt. Druitt for several hours due to some track maintenance and was instead rerouted for a longer bus ride. In short, I missed my flight but gratefully accommodated for a seat in the next flight @ 8:45am – probably some poor soul must have missed his flight too! :-)

Touch down in Melbourne came 45 minutes later with the flight attendant cheerfully announcing a better climate at 10 degrees! I was surprised in disbelief and worried about my nose since it bled regularly in Sydney at 16deg - but there was no turning back!

• Last visit to Melbourne: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 15, 2005

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 2:59 AM

magandang gabi, dreks :) maraming salamat sa iyo for birthday greetings! oo, ako made a plan for celebrate my special day with take summer holiday >> wish me luck, will you? :D hugs, @rie

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2005 at 5:16 PM

It was great to meet you at the VT meet while we were in Singapore. Love your pics from the great ocean rd. One of my favourite areas.

Dreks

“There are no STRANGERS here, only FRIENDS you haven't met YET.”

Badges & Stats in Melbourne

Have you been to Melbourne?

Latest Activity in Melbourne