"Iquitos, Peru's Amazon city" Top 5 Page for this destination Iquitos by Austinsnow

Iquitos Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 301 photos

Iquitos

Most tourists brush through Iquitos on the way to jungle lodges, but it's an interesting place to hang out for a couple days. I spent two months working there at a small hospital, so I was lucky enough to get fairly well aquainted with the area.

Iquitos is a city surrounded by rivers, unconnected to the rest of the world by roads. Because of this, it is full of motortaxis, as it's not so easy to import cars. This makes it a bit noisy and sometimes hair-raising, but it's fun. Naturally, Iquitos is a big riverport, so there are plenty of boats down or upriver. This makes a Iquitos a good place to start a trip within the Amazon Basin.

Sights within the city include a nice walk by the river (the Boulevard), a market and floating neighborhood around Belen, and a couple artisan markets to buy goods to bring home. Nearby is a small zoo, an island of monkeys, a butterfly farm, and more jungle lodges than you can shake a stick at.

Other tips to check out:

Cautions: eating weird things; and where to go If you need medical help

Tourist Trap: paying too much for boats

Festivals: parades in July

Off the Beaten Path: taking the slow boat; another town on the Amazon; and motorbike tripping on Iquitos' only highway

Now, as noted at the top, I was last in Iquitos in August 2004, so hopefully things don't change much over a couple years.

• Pros:equipped for tourists without being overly touristy
  • Cons:a little noisy, can be hot
  • In a nutshell:Nice Place to Stay an Extra Day
  • Last visit to Iquitos: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 27, 2006

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2008 at 6:12 AM

Interesting travel page. Best wishes.

• MackWARD's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 9:04 PM

good, worthwhile tip. did you see any boats for reasonable hire to Leticia?

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2006 at 1:26 AM

Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado is the important decision I must take Your very good pages are helping me Gracias!!!!!!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2005 at 5:48 AM

Good page on Iquitos. When I eventually go to Explorama, I will visit the city.

• metteks's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2005 at 1:26 AM

I liked your story about the motorbike and the everlasting rain.

• butterfly_girl's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2005 at 6:36 AM

Great tips...I wish I had time to make it there on my trip to Peru! Thanks!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2005 at 4:21 AM

Hi Austin: Your Iquitos page reminds me of the great time I had there. How fortunate you were to experience it in depth while helping people. Best wishes.

Badges & Stats in Iquitos

Have you been to Iquitos?

Latest Activity in Iquitos