"Montreal in September" Montreal by vanessadb
Montreal Travel Guide: 3,666 reviews and 6,834 photos
I went to Montreal last weekend to visit a friend and I really enjoyed this city. It is definitely very American but it does have its very own flavour.
Montreal is an island in the middle of the Saint Laurent River. The Mont Royal mountain basically serves as a reference point to the different neighborhoods. Example, to the west of Mont Royal, you'll find Westmount, a chic residential area. Outremont, on the other hand, is on the East of Mt Royal.
Half English half French, Montreal is a very interesting cosmopolitan city. Some neighborhoods are Anglo, others are French, and then of course you also have the mixed ones. A good way to know in what kind of area you are is to look at the stop signs: if they're in French (they then read "Arret"), English or both.
It is funny actually how the international stop sign is translated into French in the province of Quebec; in all other French speaking countries it reads stop.
Yes Quebec is more beautiful than Montreal (especially thanks to the Frontenac castle), but I personally enjoyed Montreal much more. Montreal is an interesting city where I could live, whereas Quebec is a lovely touristy stop.
- In a nutshell:An interesting cosmopolitan city
The Old Town of Montreal is quite small but definitely a must see. Wander around the charming little pedestrian streets... more travel advice
Mont Royal is basically a small mountain on the island of Montreal. It's a great spot to get an overall view of the city... more travel advice
Written Sep 18, 2002
A One Day Cabrio Tour
Written Oct 22, 2002
vanessadb's Related Pages
Montreal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bienvenue a Montreal! (Welcome!!!)"
- "A Wonderful Winter Weekend!"
- "Fall in love with Montréal..."
- "MONTRÉAL - our entry to Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montreal
- Hotels in Montreal
- Transportation in Montreal
- Nightlife in Montreal
- Restaurants in Montreal
- Shopping in Montreal
- Warnings and Dangers in Montreal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montreal
- 8 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Montreal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montreal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Beach Intro, 54 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 39 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lausanne Intro, 24 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Geneva Intro, 23 reviews, 19 photos
- Florence Intro, 9 reviews, 29 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Boston Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Key West Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos