"GIRONA" Top 5 Page for this destination Girona by Belsaita

Girona Travel Guide: 445 reviews and 1,290 photos

Ryanair and other low-cost companies have brought Girona to the map of international travel in recent years. However, most tourists just arrive to GRO airport, immediately leaving to Barcelona or to the Costa Brava beach resorts.

If you allow some time (at last one day) to Girona, you will enjoy a real gem. Girona is a perfect place to get lost, just to soak in the atmosphere of the Old Town. If you love history, you can’t miss it. Great picture opportunities too.

Girona is very Catalan (for good and for bad). Barcelona is a cosmopolitan city, the beach resorts are just “international”. If you are interested in Catalan culture, language and traditions, this is a good place to start.

As well, it can be a good base point to travel around the area, for instance to Figueres, Pals, Cadaques, Olot... or the many coastal resorts of the Costa Brava, and even the South of France.

• Pros:easy to reach (cheap flights), small size, history, culture, food
  • Cons:still to be found :)
  • In a nutshell:a gem for culture and history lovers
  • Last visit to Girona: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 1, 2008

• Turska's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2013 at 4:18 AM

The town looks very nice, I love all the history. I hope we will be going there next september!

• Jan 16, 2011 at 10:46 PM

The Girona Spain is a good place for shopping. You can find good deals on alcohol and perfume and many other items to buy. nomadictraveler.net/girona-s...

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Great tips and pics Isa!

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Great page of a city I will visit soon :) Looking forward to see things you mentioned in page:)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Fine photos of all the places I missed on my one visit to Girona many years ago! I went there by bicycle, had a pleasant pub evening and left the next morning in the direction of France.

• travellinglateinlife's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Thank you Belsaita, I to was going to use my flight into Girona as a way to Barcelona. I have now decided to split my week between the two, having seen that its only 7euros or so for the train journey!

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2009 at 6:47 AM

Enjoyed reading your page Isa. We visited Girona as a daytrip from BCN and loved it.

• unaS's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Thanks Belsaita, You have done it again! Great tips and interesting local customs. Many thanks. Have Copied and Pasted most of your tips for my trip.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 2:26 AM

Unfortunately Girona was a place I missed in Spain. Terrific local customs, especially lion kiss, cathedral witch, & "flies"! Would love to see ramparts, Jewish quarters, Cathedral & Cloister. BTW, I had a cat named Ambrosia!

• timada's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Girona is a splendid place : old and new together , churches , Jewish Quartiers ...thanks for sharing !

Belsaita Visits Here Frequently!

Belsaita