"A little island with loads of history" Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island by Belsaita
Minorca Island Travel Guide: 224 reviews and 624 photos
This little island is nowadays the most oriental Spanish territory, but it has a long history. Thousands of years, on the Bronze Age (2000 – 1400 B.C.) a pre-historic culture existed there, we can still see (and admire) their collective tombs, known as 'navetas' (due its shape like inverted boats) and large stone constructions known as 'talaiots'. Later, the Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans, Vandals, Byzantines, Visigoths, Muslims, British and French have dominated the island in turn.
Now, it's a quiet resort, with many possibilities: from water sports (quiet beaches with clean water) to jazz music, from gastronomic travelling to clubbing. During summer, there are many popular festivals, called 'jaleos' where the horses are the protagonists. Do not miss to attend one if you have the possibility.
- Pros:Good weather, wonderful natural areas, full of possibilities
- Cons:Crowded of tourists during peak season (August)
- In a nutshell:Better visit in June or September.
You may see these even before arriving to the island. We noticed that many of our fellow travelers on the plane from... more travel advice
There were (and still are) many junipers in Menorca. The British army was there too. Logical consequence: they started... more travel advice
Belsaita's Related Pages
Minorca Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Menorca: Sun, Sea, Sand And, Err, Fiesta!"
- ""Cala n Bosc""
- "La Isla Bonita"
- "A little island with loads of history"
- "The Balearic Boomerang"
- "Menorca - A fascinating island in the Balearics"
- "Family Fun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Minorca Island
- Hotels in Minorca Island
- Transportation in Minorca Island
- Nightlife in Minorca Island
- Restaurants in Minorca Island
- Shopping in Minorca Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Minorca Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Minorca Island
- 16 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Minorca Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minorca Island
Photos in Minorca IslandSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 101 reviews, 160 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girona Intro, 18 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 1 review, 78 photos, 9 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mandalay Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos
- Athens Intro, 2 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos
- Vilanova i la Geltru Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Queralbs Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues