"Rosa d'Abril" Serra de Montserrat by Belsaita
Serra de Montserrat Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 181 photos
Montserrat is... different. I would say is a place not to be missed, as it has nothing to do with other mountains. Sure you have seen pictures: is more impressive being there! As well, is the spiritual centre of Catalunya, so if you visit Montserrat, try to learn a little about its history before. Montserrat's monastery played a key role preserving Catalan traditions and language during the darkest Franco's years
Most visitors just do the rushed half-day tour trip. IMO this is not a good way to go there. Arriving, guided rushed visit to the monastery, some shopping, some pics and go away.
As said, Montserrat is a spiritual place, even for non-Catholics and even not visiting the church. So, if you go there, take your time. Take the racktrain to the top of Sant Joan mountain and return down along the hiking path, or if you have time enough, other mountain paths. The way to the Cove where the Madonna was found is beautiful too, but very tiring, you go down to the Cove, and you have to return the same path upwards. In any case, is better to visit on weekdays, less people around. Even better to spend the night there, to enjoy the place to yourselves. Enjoy the nature, the landscape, the silence, and feel the force of God, the Goddess, Mother Nature, or whichever you want to call it.
The Coves of Collbató nearby are interesting to visit too. As well the Medieval quarter of Manresa.
My first trip ever seems that was to Montserrat, according the pictures... Later, my grandparents used to spend there a holiday week every summer, and many times they took me with them, when I was a small girl. Somme of my earliest memories are playing with a bunny-toy on the place in front of the monastery, having local "mato" for afternoon snack, or doing the mountain paths with my grandpa, the easiest first, and feeling so "big girl" when I could do the more and more difficult ones.
So... you'll understand I have a very special relation with this place!
Of course I've recent pictures... but the place has not changed so much, and I just love these old ones ;))
I could not find the time to write more tips. Do not hesitate to write me if you want more info.
To plan your trip, you may check the official websites:
And this one about how to get there from Barcelona, by public transport:
The "combo" tickets are very good deals (with or without museum and lunch, depending on your interests)
- Pros:place of both cultural, spiritual and natural interest
- Cons:too crowded sometimes
Belsaita's Related Pages
Serra de Montserrat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MONTSERRAT MOUNTAIN"
- "Montserrat - A Day Trip from Barcelona"
- "Montserrat - beautiful mountains with monastery"
- "Sacred Montserrat"
- "In the mountains of Montserrat"
- "Hiking route 3"
- "The mysterious Holy Mountain of Catalunya"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serra de Montserrat
- Hotels in Serra de Montserrat
- Transportation in Serra de Montserrat
- Restaurants in Serra de Montserrat
- Shopping in Serra de Montserrat
- Warnings and Dangers in Serra de Montserrat
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Serra de Montserrat
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Serra de Montserrat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serra de Montserrat
Photos in Serra de MontserratSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 99 reviews, 159 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girona Intro, 18 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 75 photos, 9 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 14 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 2 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santo Domingo Intro, 19 reviews, 26 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos
- Vilanova i la Geltru Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Queralbs Intro, 7 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos