"Nicaragua! An undiscovered paradise!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nicaragua by JenniferG

Nicaragua Travel Guide: 1,746 reviews and 6,118 photos

Nicaragua is definitely my most favourite country in Central-America. Here you can find the real laidback life of the locals without being spoiled by tourism.
For me this country was an eye opener. I finally saw that people can live a happy life without owning a lot. They live in wooden huts hold together with a bit of plastic but they're very proud of the way they life!

Besides the local life the nature was once again amazing. Beautiful lakes, volcanoes and beaches.

We went to the following places:
San Juan del Sur
Isla de Ometepe
Granada
The Corn Islands

Check my must see activity tips for more info and pics!

One of the highlights: the local life

It's amazing that people can live in houses like this and still be happy! I guess we, as western peole, are pretty spoiled...

Seaturtles: endangered?

Although throughout the world the seaturtles are endangered the local here in Nicaragua keep on catching them. They say they've never heard of the turtles being protected.

I do understand it, those people are poor and need food to eat. They have a really good day if they catch a turtle but they treat them very bad. They force them to lie on their backs, they make holes in their legs and tie them up so that they can't moved and then they keep them alive for days to keep them fresh... Horrible to see later on that the dish of the day is turtle...

• Last visit to Nicaragua: Nov 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 14, 2003

JenniferG

“Oh yes! I'm ready to go!”

Badges & Stats in Nicaragua

Have you been to Nicaragua?

Latest Activity in Nicaragua