"Avebury - A landscape of ancient magic" Avebury by KennetRose
Avebury Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 238 photos
The signs at the entrance to the village proclaim with pride its status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In fact, the Avebury Great Circle is just the most important of a whole cluster of monuments (extended to include Stonehenge, 30km to the south) which dot this part of the Marlborough Downs.
I've long said - and recommended to visitors - that Avebury is a far more rewarding experience than Stonehenge.
For one thing, the stones are not hidden behind a fence. You can walk round them and touch them. And it's a long walk too. You can't encompass it all with a glance or a photograph, except from the air if you're lucky enough to get the chance, and that's a wonderful experience too. The great bank and ditch give some idea of just how important this site was when it was built nearly 5,000 years ago!
The Great Circle encloses most of a rather attractive village too. And the Avebury Great Circle is not the only feature of this district - there's a whole landscape to explore and it will take you much more than a day to get the best out of it.
I love Avebury, and I will defend it to the death against the upstart Stonehenge!
- Pros:An awesome experience for those with eyes to see
- Cons:Attracts some very odd people!
- In a nutshell:Enough magic to keep a broomstick going for a lifetime!
Yes folks, this enormous mound is Britain's answer to the pyramids! Though it compares in size only to one of the more... more travel advice
The A4 road from London to Bath follows the course of an old Roman road across the downs. Mostly it runs dead straight,... more travel advice
- Gird up your loins!
- Stone circles and other matters
- Conditions on the Downs
- See All By car (NOT recommended)
KennetRose's Related Pages
Avebury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neverending Sto...nes"
- "Standing Stones of Avebury"
- "Avebury and surrounding area"
- "AVEBURY - THE MAJOR GOES MYSTICAL!"
- "Low Key Pre-History"
- "Avebury - A landscape of ancient magic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avebury
- Hotels in Avebury
- Transportation in Avebury
- Restaurants in Avebury
- Shopping in Avebury
- Warnings and Dangers in Avebury
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Avebury
- 18 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Avebury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avebury
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 119 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reading Intro, 32 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 24 photos
- Krakow Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Oxford Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Avebury Intro, 18 reviews, 10 photos
- Heswall Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue