"The Wirral - a forgotten oasis of peace and beauty" Heswall by KennetRose
Heswall Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 16 photos
As there is no slot in VT for the Wirral, I've chosen Heswall to hang my impressions (partly because Sandy hasn't already baggsied it!).
The Wirral is the tongue of land that protrudes into the Irish Sea between Liverpool and North Wales. It is bordered to the northeast by the River Mersey, to the southwest by the estuary of the River Dee, and for a short stretch in the northwest by Liverpool Bay.
The Mersey shore is densely populated, industrialised and depressed; of little interest except for the Victorian model village of Port Sunlight. The Dee shore is marked by a long ridge of sandstone, which gives the local buildings their characteristic smokey-pink colour. The ridge is covered in heathland and gives beautiful views of the Dee estuary and North Wales. The centre of the Wirral was once low-lying marshland - the mediaeval author of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight wrote of "The Wildernesse of Wyralle" - and is now dotted with picture-postcard villages that are little-known outside the area.
Apart from the views, the sunsets are spectacular!
- Pros:Beautiful and peaceful along the Dee shore
- Cons:Dingy and dreary along the Mersey shore
- In a nutshell:A little-known pocket of peace and tranquility
The West Kirby to Hooton railway line has been transformed into a linear park 20km long. Perfect for walking and... more travel advice
Large, picture-postcard pretty commuter village right in the centre of Wirral. Another place where the Wirral sandstone... more travel advice
KennetRose's Related Pages
Heswall Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Wirral - a forgotten oasis of peace and beauty"
- "West of Liverpool, North of Chester"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Heswall
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Heswall?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heswall
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 119 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reading Intro, 32 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 24 photos
- Krakow Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Oxford Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Avebury Intro, 18 reviews, 10 photos
- Heswall Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue