"Calleva of the Atrebates - a Roman metropolis" Silchester by KennetRose
Silchester Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 39 photos
Two delights in one.
Silchester is a commuter village lying between Reading and Basingstoke, with a very nice pub on an unusually large village green.
And Calleva Atrebatum is a sight to take you back two millennia, to a time when this was one of the most important Roman settlements in southern Britain.
- Pros:Calleva Attrebatum is impressive and Silchester is almost the ideal English village
- Cons:A long walk from the nearest public transport
- In a nutshell:One small step and one giant leap back in time
Unlike other Roman towns, Calleva was not built on after the Romans left, so the site is intact. That said, it has been... more travel advice
Pub games - by which I mean those that don't demand an endless diet of coins in the slot and especially not the... more travel advice
KennetRose's Related Pages
Silchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Calleva Atrebatum................."
- "Calleva of the Atrebates - a Roman metropolis"
- "Hard to believe it was so important."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Silchester
- Transportation in Silchester
- Nightlife in Silchester
- Restaurants in Silchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Silchester
- 8 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Silchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Silchester
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 119 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reading Intro, 32 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 24 photos
- Krakow Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Oxford Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Avebury Intro, 18 reviews, 10 photos
- Heswall Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue