"Walney - where, did you say?" Isle of Walney by KennetRose
Isle of Walney Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 64 photos
An 18km long sand bar of the coast of the Furness peninsula in Lancashire, North West England. Part of the Borough of Barrow-in-Furness.
It's where I was born in 1954 :)
It's really rather attractive, with views to the Lakeland mountains, and one of the best and most unspoiled beaches in the UK - but don't go shouting that abroad or they'll all want to come.
Only the middle of the island is built on - and that mostly with solid terraced houses meant to accommodate shipyard workers. The northern and southern ends form an important wildlife reserve.
The island of Walney bears a passing resemblance in size and shape to the island of Manhattan. They don't have a lot else in common.
I have photos and they will follow in due course
- Pros:It's my home!
- Cons:As a child I felt ashamed of it
- In a nutshell:Hush - it's a hidden secret
Old stone pub in the cluster of old stone buildings called Biggar Village, long predating the nearby town of Barrow and... more travel advice
Barrow is one of the rainiest towns in the UK and Walney is right in the face of it. (As a child, I found the bus... more travel advice
KennetRose's Related Pages
Isle of Walney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Island Off Cumbria"
- "Walney - where, did you say?"
- "Welcome to Walney"
- "WHERE'S THE BAY?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Walney
- Hotels in Isle of Walney
- Transportation in Isle of Walney
- Restaurants in Isle of Walney
- Warnings and Dangers in Isle of Walney
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Isle of Walney
- 7 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Isle of Walney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Walney
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 119 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol Intro, 50 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reading Intro, 32 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- England Intro, 29 reviews, 24 photos
- Krakow Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Oxford Intro, 22 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ireland Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 8 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 14 photos
- Avebury Intro, 18 reviews, 10 photos
- Heswall Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue