Zermatt Sports & Outdoors Tips by sierralyndon
Zermatt Sports & Outdoors: 21 reviews and 34 photos
Matterhorn from Riffelberg Skifield
So I decided to give skiing a go to see why everyone raves about it. I must say it was a painful and humbling experience, especially for one who has no sense of balance and is slightly afraid of heights!
There are 3 big ski schools in Zermatt which all looked like they offered the same services. I am not trying to do a promotional thing for anyone, just want to share my experience. We went to the Swiss Ski and Snowboard School. They were extremely efficient and friendly at the office when we went there to confirm our booking done over the telephone two weeks before hand. Additionally, my husband did his shoulder in on the first day of the course... and they refunded him the fees in full no questions asked and no forms to fill - they just handed us the money after we showed them our receipt and told them what happened.
I continued the course with a bunch of other beginners, and I was the worst! But the instructor was really patient and good (he was close to 60 I think but a tough old man, so no worries about the macho ski instructor thing going on there...). More than anything, you need someone to "force" you into trying something that you don't think you are able to do. They're good that way... knowing your limits and abilities better than you do.
We started on a 3 day course, and then decided to add on later because it was just so much fun. During the week, they took us to different ski fields. (Stick close to the instructors because some learners actually got off at the wrong stop).
Proud to say that I managed to ski down a blue run with the instructor on my third day! If I can do it, then anyone can, trust me.
Equipment: This is basic info for beginners - advanced people please move on because the info here could be embarrassing!
We rented our equipment from Slalom Sports (again, am not promoting them, I'm sure other sports shops have excellent service as well). The staff were knowledgeable, professional and friendly. During the week, we must have gone back about 4 times to change boots, return skis, re-rent them, etc. and they couldn't have been happier to help. Their prices were reasonable and we didn't need to "persuade" them to consider re-rentals as add-on days, etc. as you may do in some other ski resorts who are out to make money.
I rented the wrong size boots not knowing how tight they were supposed to be. I could hardly walk in them, but people kept saying that "they've got to be tight". Hurt really bad the first day. Then got them changed at the shop to one size larger - slightly better - but still hurt like crazy on the slopes. Third day, changed boot model altogether (no more of that modern buckley boots, but went with some really old-fashioned ones) and they were perfect! So perfect in fact that we bought them off the shop for CHF30 at the end of our trip!! Who cares if they were ugly, they were comfy and will be good for the next couple of seasons as I get better at skiing!
More Reviews (10)
- See All Gornerschlucht - the Gorner Gorge
- Great food at great prices
- See All Watching the cute and furries
sierralyndon's Related Pages
Zermatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "See you there this Summer or Winter..."
- "Zermatt and the Majestic Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt - Gateway to the mighty Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt...Guardian of the Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt and the Mighty Matterhorn"
- "Matterhorn Collection"
- "Zermatt and the Matterhorn"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zermatt
- Hotels in Zermatt
- Transportation in Zermatt
- Nightlife in Zermatt
- Restaurants in Zermatt
- Shopping in Zermatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Zermatt
- See All...
Explore the World
- Khabarovsk Hotels
- Berkeley Hotels
- Södra Vi
- San Fruttuoso Hotels
- Distrito de Setúbal
- Hangzhou Hotels
Badges & Stats in Zermatt
- 11 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Zermatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zermatt
Top 10 Pages
- Milan Intro, 39 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trentino-Alto Adige Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Andalucía Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valle d'Aosta Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grindelwald Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Island Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udine Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Mykonos Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maldives Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Latest Zermatt hotel reviews
- Wellness- and Vitalhotel Pirmin Zurbriggen Zermatt
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 24, 2013
- Grand Zermatterhof Hotel Zermatt
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- The Omnia
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Hotel Berghof
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 24, 2012
- Gornergrat Dorf Hotel Zermatt
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2012
- Coeur des Alpes
- 247 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Hotel Mont Cervin Palace
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotel Weisshorn
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel-Restaurant Alpenblick Zermatt
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Youthhostel Zermatt
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 27, 2012
- Sunstar Style Hotel Zermatt
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Riffelalp Resort Zermatt
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Alpenroyal Swiss Quality Hotel
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Le Petit Hotel
- 183 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Gornergrat- 17 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Glacier Express- 5 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Matterhorn- 15 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Klein Matterhorn- 7 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Matterhorn Glacier Paradise- 3 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Walking- 5 Reviews, 19 Photos
- St. Mauritius Church- 4 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Matterhorn Museum- 5 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Sunnegga Paradise- 2 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Cemetery- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
See All Zermatt Things to Do