"Summer Time in the Dolomites" Top 5 Page for this destination Trentino-Alto Adige by sierralyndon

Trentino-Alto Adige Travel Guide: 1,073 reviews and 3,147 photos

Trentino-Alto Adige is a region in the north east of Italy, just south of the Austrian border. It is actually made up of two parts: Trentino and Alto Adige (surprise, surprise!).

I have spent both summer and winter here (definitely prefer summers... hey, I'm from the tropics, snow is unnatural for me!), mostly in the Alto Adige part, further north, also known as Sudtirol. Although this region is still in Italy, you can't deny how "germanic" it is. It was really strange being on the Italian side of the Alps but being served bratwurst by tubby, red-moustached restaurant owners called Hans. Okay, I'm exagerating a bit... but I'm not that far from the truth. In some parts we visited (esp. in Alto Adige) some people could hardly speak Italian. It was most difficult for my football-mad husband to find a bar that broadcast Italian Serie A games (on SKY). In many towns we passed through, the locals were more interested in tne German Bundesliga (they had Premiere)!!

There is also a very strong Ladin culture, children here learn the Ladin language at school.

Obvious attraction here are the mountains (Dolomites) and therefore trekking and skiing. I highly recommend coming here for a getaway and some very clean, fresh air.

• Last visit to Trentino-Alto Adige: Aug 2002
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2006

sierralyndon

“"I wonder what's happening over there?"”

Badges & Stats in Trentino-Alto Adige

Have you been to Trentino-Alto Adige?

Latest Activity in Trentino-Alto Adige