"Summer Time in the Dolomites" Top 5 Page for this destination Trentino-Alto Adige by sierralyndon
Trentino-Alto Adige Travel Guide: 1,071 reviews and 3,133 photos
Trentino-Alto Adige is a region in the north east of Italy, just south of the Austrian border. It is actually made up of two parts: Trentino and Alto Adige (surprise, surprise!).
I have spent both summer and winter here (definitely prefer summers... hey, I'm from the tropics, snow is unnatural for me!), mostly in the Alto Adige part, further north, also known as Sudtirol. Although this region is still in Italy, you can't deny how "germanic" it is. It was really strange being on the Italian side of the Alps but being served bratwurst by tubby, red-moustached restaurant owners called Hans. Okay, I'm exagerating a bit... but I'm not that far from the truth. In some parts we visited (esp. in Alto Adige) some people could hardly speak Italian. It was most difficult for my football-mad husband to find a bar that broadcast Italian Serie A games (on SKY). In many towns we passed through, the locals were more interested in tne German Bundesliga (they had Premiere)!!
There is also a very strong Ladin culture, children here learn the Ladin language at school.
Obvious attraction here are the mountains (Dolomites) and therefore trekking and skiing. I highly recommend coming here for a getaway and some very clean, fresh air.
A nice place to stop for lunch on the high street of Ortisei, ask for a plate of cold cuts and cheese with a glass of... more travel advice
Obviously ski clothes, snow boots, etc. in the winter. In the summer good walking shoes, walking sticks if you like... more travel advice
Written Mar 12, 2003
Photos from Alta Badia
Written Sep 1, 2005
Some great food in Alto-Adige
sierralyndon's Related Pages
Trentino-Alto Adige Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welschnofen - Nova Levante"
- "Just Barely Italy & First Dolomites Impressions"
- "Trentino Alto Adige."
- "Summer Time in the Dolomites"
- "South Tyrol"
- "The best place in the world"
- "Trentino-Alto Adige / Sudtirol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Hotels in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Transportation in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Nightlife in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Restaurants in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Shopping in Trentino-Alto Adige
- Warnings and Dangers in Trentino-Alto Adige
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trentino-Alto Adige
- 20 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Trentino-Alto Adige?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trentino-Alto Adige
Photos in Trentino-Alto AdigeSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Milan Intro, 39 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trentino-Alto Adige Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Andalucía Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valle d'Aosta Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grindelwald Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Island Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Udine Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Mykonos Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maldives Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (8)
Top Trentino-Alto Adige hotels
- Riva del Garda Hotels
- 74 Reviews - 240 Photos
- Tonale Hotels
- 21 Hotels
- Trento Hotels
- 190 Reviews - 474 Photos
- Selva di Val Gardena Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 197 Photos
- Vipiteno Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 54 Photos
- Torbole Hotels
- 29 Hotels
- Gruppo della Marmolada Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 17 Photos
- San Martino di Castrozza Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 27 Photos
- Canazei Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 106 Photos
- Molveno Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Madonna di Campiglio Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Folgaria Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 27 Photos
- Bolzano Hotels
- 206 Reviews - 517 Photos
- Villabassa Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Vigo di Fassa Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 17 Photos